This recipe is ideal for barbecues as well as a quick and easy way to round off any meal in a decadent and delicious fashion.
For each person
Half a chocolate flake
or 30g grated chocolate
- milk or dark, but not white.
- With a sharp knife, slit the banana lengthways through the top skin and flesh, but don't cut through the skin underneath.
- Pull the banana open a little, so that there's a cavity along the centre.
- Insert the half flake into the cavity, or spoon in the chocolate.
- Wrap tightly in foil and place on a barbecue or in a medium oven (350 Farenheit, 175 Celsius, Gas Mark 4) for approximately 15 minutes.
- Unwrap, top with whipped cream, vanilla ice-cream, greek yoghurt or creme fraiche depending on preference and preferred fat content
- Devour with a spoon from the skin.
The skin of the banana will blacken - this has no effect on the flavour.
You can use any temperature oven for this dish, just adjusting the cooking time: the idea is simply that the chocolate melts and the flesh of the fruit softens and heats - it doesn't burn, so is very forgiving.