Sony's 10th anniversary MiniDisc recorder, the MZ-N10 looks like a fine, shiny piece of kit. Now the flagship model in the NetMD range (usurping the N1). Release date hasn't been confirmed further than this month (September, 2002). It has all the good points of the N1 and then some.

New features include:

  • new ATRAC1 Type-S DSP (which combines the ATRAC1 Type-R encoder and new improvements to the ATRAC3 decoder for improved playback of MDLP recordings)
  • 30g less weight and 2.6mm less thickness
  • LP4 downloading at 64X (to Sony: now that's more like it!)
  • new SonicStage v1.5 software (does this mean Sony's finally dumped OpenMG Jukebox?)
  • charging and USB connection can be made without the charging stand
  • internal 3mm Lithium Ion cell
  • backlit remote with 2-line display for Roman characters and 1-line for Kanji
  • Virtual Headphone Technology Acoustic Engine that uses DSP to simulate "Studio", "Club", "Live" or "Arena" settings
  • 6-band graphic equalizer
  • "Bookmark" function stores up to 20 favourite tracks from an MD and can play only those next time you put in the disc

Basically, if you're in the market for a NetMD recorder, then you'll go far with this baby. I'd order it but I've already ordered my N1. D'Oh!

Specifications:

  • DSP: ATRAC1 Type-S
  • Size (LWH): 78.5/73.3/13.8mm (12.9mm thick)
  • Weight: 84g including battery

Battery Life:

  • Internal LiIon cell: 9/13/16 (SP/LP2/LP4 recording), 23/27/30 (SP/LP2/LP4 playback)
  • 1 x AA: 11/16/20 (SP/LP2/LP4 recording), 32/40/43 (SP/LP2/LP4 playback)
  • Both: 22/33/41 (SP/LP2/LP4 recording), 58/71/77 (SP/LP2/LP4 playback)

Source:
Minidisc.org - http://www.minidisc.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.