History
Solheim Cup is the women's version of Ryder Cup. It is a golf tournament held every second year, and it features the twelve best US and the twelve best European players. The tournament started in 1990 and is named from the founder/owner Karsten Solheim of the main sponsor Karsten Mfg Corp, who are more known as the makers of Callaway golfing equipment. Humble man.  

Qualification
The players qualify according to their results on the America LPGA and the European LET tours. For the LPGA, finishing on the top-ten in a tournament will give you points that last for two years. The ten with highest Solheim Cup points are direct qualified. The American team captain also has 2 wildcards. For the European team, the best seven players from the European LPGA standings qualify, plus there are five picks for the captain to use as her/his discretion.

Matches
The competition is held over three days. The first two days have four foursome matches of alternate shot competition, and four four-ball better-ball matches. The last day is twelve single matches. There's a total of 28 points, and a tie halves the point. A team needs 14.5 points to win the cup from the defending team. 

Past results
In 1990, the US team won with 11.5 point vs. 4.5. In 1992, the Euro team won 11.5 vs. 6.5. 1994 Cup went back to the US with a 13-7-0 record. 1996 and 1998 the US kept the Cups fairly easy by winning 15 matches each year. In 2000 the European ladies won the Cup back with 14.5 points, after a great comeback on the final holes of the singles matches.

The 2002 Solheim Cup will be held in the US, at Interlachen Country Club, Minnesota.


Source: solheimcup2000.com, lpga.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.