Although officially known as Comic-Con International: San Diego and/or San Diego Comic-Con International, nearly everybody refers to this convention as the San Diego Comic-Con, or SDCC. By far the largest convention of its sort, it's usually held in July and features 250,000 square feet of exhibition space. As usual, there are panels, workshops, art show, Artist's Alley, and so on. The difference is that there's more of everything (it's a rare four-day con).

The 2001 SDCC will be held July 19-22nd. Guests for this year are typical of the caliber of other years, to include: Henry Boltinoff, Michael Chabon, Jeff Smith, Brian and Wendy Froud, Jhonen Vasquez, John Buscema, Brian Michael Bendis, Joe R. Lansdale, Kim Stanley Robinson, P. Craig Russell, Bernie Wrightson, and more. As you can see, the list isn't exclusively restricted to comics guests, with fantasy illustrators and authors, plus gaming people, actors and others. The 2000 event had a staggering 48,5000 attendees.

Comic-Con Inc. is also the sponsor of the Alternative Press Expo in San Francisco (independent comics) and Comic Book Expo & Pro/Con (tailgates SDCC, for industry and professionals; presents the Eisner Awards). The official blurb: Comic-Con International is a nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to creating awareness of and appreciation for comics and related popular art forms primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.

www.comic-con.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.