Atari 2600 Game
Produced by:Atari
Model Number:CX2680
Rarity:3 Scarce
Year of Release: 1982

Realsports Tennis is a basic Tennis game for the Atari 2600. You can play against the computer, or against a friend. Two player mode was always the best way to play this, as playing an Atari sports title by yourself was only slightly more entertaining than reading the cover of the box. That was how it was back in 1982, these days the box has moved significantly up the rating chart and is now far more entertaining than the actual game. If you really want to play video tennis then I would suggest passing on this title and picking up a copy of Virtua Tennis for the Sega Dreamcast.

The graphics are simple but effective. You play on a pseudo 3-D playing field. With player one at the top and player two at the bottom. The game is almost a complete clone of Activision's older Atari tennis title. The only difference is better graphics and the addition of a more complex scoreboard. There is a slight advantage to being player 2 because of the shape of the playing field, (player 2 has a bigger court). Of course it must be pointed out that the chances of another two player game of this ever being seriously played anywhere on earth are roughly 200,000 to 1. When I say "seriously" played I am of course speaking about two people actually playing the game for entertainment purposes, and not just to test an Atari or to prove me wrong in some fashion.

From the instruction manual:

* Try rushing the net after a serve to hit the ball before it bounces. The other player will hit from the baseline. Then suddenly, hit the ball at an angle - out of the other player's reach.

* Play a one-player slow game to practice different shots against the computer-pro. Then try mixing your shots to catch the computer off guard.

* Try hitting a lob when your opponent comes to the net. This may throw your opponent off balance or give you time to reposition your- self on the court for a new attack.

* If the other player moves up to the net, hit the ball to the baseline. Your opponent will have a hard time returning the ball in time. Use the same tactic by hitting the ball to the sidelines.

Information for collectors

This game is valued at around $3 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more. Now that you know how much this game is worth, I can explain to you why you probably don't want to buy it. The Atari 2600 is a machine whose time has come and gone. It was an awesome machine in its day. I even had one myself. I had an Atari 5200 and an Atari 7800 as well. But technology moved on, time moved on, and as it did it surpassed the console and the games. Today there are only a handful of Atari games worth playing in a world of modern games, and almost every last one of them uses the paddle controller (Kaboom! comes to mind). This game doesn't even come close to being one of those eternally fun games that you might still want to play today. Since you aren't going to play it, there is no reason to buy it. Having it sitting up on your shelf will not bring back your childhood, it will not give you another chance to ask Katie to the prom and it certainly won't provide you with any enjoyment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.