Queen Anne's Gate is a short street in central Westminster, London, named after the memorable dead Queen, Anne. Originally two separate streets, Queen's Square to the west and Park Street (for St James's Park) to the east, divided by a wall and a gate. Queen's Square originally dates from about 1704, when it was built by developer Charles Shales on the site of White Hart Yard, part of a local inn. Park Street was added in 1774. The wall was changed from a high brick wall to a low one surmounted by railings during the 18th century, and the statue of Queen Anne that had been set on it was moved to the south side of the street. The wall was not finally removed until 1873, when the name of 'Queen Anne's Gate' was given to the entire street by the Metropolitan Board of Works. It is said that this was done partly to dissuade the residents from putting up a new wall to keep the traffic out. However, by this stage Victoria Street was nearly complete, and before too long the area lost almost all its through traffic. According to legend, the street is haunted by the ghost of Queen Anne, which, either independently or by possessing the statue, walks three times around the street on the night of 31 July, the anniversary of the queen's death.

There are lots of offices here for government agencies, housed in some fairly historic buildings. The Two Chairmen pub is at the north end. Organisations having offices in the street include Resource: the Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries, the National Trust, and the Home Office. The Home Office building, on the site of the White Hart Inn, as near as I can tell, is a hideous modern block.

The Two Chairmen pub, on the corner of Queen Anne's Gate and Dartmouth Street, was once a hiring point for sedan chairs, when nearby Cockpit Steps was still the site of the Royal Cockpit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.