In order to limit the number of entries, and distinguish these from the replica tin cans of Operation Sail
that have never been within a hemisphere of Cape Horn
, this list only concerns square-rigged ships of greater than 1,000 tons that were built without
auxiliary power. Smaller square-riggers that have been preserved include the Cutty Sark
, and the James Craig
, ex-Clan McLeod
, in Australia.
Star of India, San Diego, California.
Iron full-rigged ship, 1318 tons, built in 1863 as Euterpe for British owners.
1897: Sold to American owners.
1901: Sold to Alaska Packers Association, rebuilt and re-rigged as a barque.
1906: Renamed Star of India.
Falls of Clyde, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Iron four-masted full-rigged ship, 1809 tons, built in 1878 for Scottish owners.
1900: Sold to American owners and re-rigged as a four masted barque.
1927: Converted to a barge in Alaska.
1963: Towed to Honolulu.
Wavertree, New York City.
Iron full-rigged ship, 2170 tons, built in 1885 as Southgate for British owners.
1888: Renamed Wavertree.
1910: Dismasted off Cape Horn, became a floating warehouse in Punta Arenas.
1948: Towed to Buenos Aires and used as a barge.
1968: Towed to New York City's South Street Seaport.
Balclutha, San Francisco, California.
Iron full-rigged ship, 1689 tons, built in 1886 for Scottish owners.
1904: Sold to Alaska Packers Association, renamed Star of Alaska.
1933: Renamed Pacific Queen and exhibited as a "curiosity".
1954: Sold to the San Francisco Maritime Museum, and given back her original name.
af Chapman, Stockholm.
Steel full-rigged ship, 1425 tons, built in 1888 as Dunboyne for Irish owners.
1908: Sold to Norwegian owners.
1915: Sold to Swedish owners and renamed G.D. Kennedy. Used as a working school-ship.
1923: Sold to Swedish Navy, and renamed af Chapman.
Galathea, Glasgow, Scotland.
Steel barque, 1613 tons, built in 1896 as Glenlee for Scottish owners.
1898: Renamed Islamount.
1919: Sold to Italian owners, renamed Clarastella, and fitted with auxiliary power.
1922: Sold to the Spanish Navy and renamed Galathea.
Rickmer Rickmers, Hamburg, Germany.
Steel barque, 1946 tons, built in 1896 for German owners.
1912: Renamed Max.
1916: Confiscated by Portugal and renamed Flores.
1924: Renamed Sagres, used as a school-ship by the Portuguese Navy.
1961: Renamed Santo Andre, and used for storage.
1983: Towed to Hamburg and given her original name.
Suomen Joutsen, Abo, Finland.
Steel full-rigged ship, 2299 tons, built in 1902 as Laennec for French owners.
1922: Sold to German owners and renamed Oldenburg. Used as working school-ship.
1930: Sold to Finnish government and renamed Suomen Joutsen. Became auxiliary powered.
Pommern, Mariehamn, Aaland Islands.
Steel four-masted barque, 2376 tons, built in 1903 as Mneme for German owners.
1906: Sold to the Laeisz Line, renamed Pommern.
1914: In command of Captain Fromcke, who goes insane on a voyage from Chile to Germany.
1921: Handed over to Greece as war compensation.
1923: Sold to Gustaf Erikson of Finland.
1939: Last voyage.
Moshulu, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Steel four-masted barque, 3109 tons, built in 1904 as Kurt for German owners.
1917: Claimed as war prize by American government, renamed Moshulu.
1935: Sold to Gustav Erikson of Finland.
1940: Last voyage.
1942: Claimed as war prize by German government and de-rigged.
1947: Sank and was salvaged by Norwegian owners.
1953: Used as a barge in Sweden, and later Finland.
1971: Became a floating restaurant in Philadelphia. Re-rigged, but not authentically. Reputed to be haunted by several of the 28 sailors who died in her over the years.
Viking, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Steel four-masted barque, 2959 tons, built in 1907 for Danish owners.
1929: Sold to Gustaf Erikson of Finland.
1947: Last voyage.
1950: Sold to Swedish owners for use as a stationary school-ship.
Passat, Travemunde, Germany.
Steel four-masted barque, 3091 tons, built in 1911 for the Laeisz Line of Germany.
1921: Handed over to France as war compensation, bought back by the Laeisz Line.
1932: Sold to Gustaf Erikson of Finland.
1951: Sold to German owners and used as a working school-ship.
1957: Last voyage.
Peking, New York City.
Steel four-masted barque, 3100 tons, built in 1911 for the Laeisz Line of Germany.
1921: Handed over to Italy as war compensation.
1923: Bought back by the Laeisz Line.
1932: Sold to British owners for use as a stationary school-ship. Renamed Arethusa and de-rigged.
1975: Towed to New York City's South Street Seaport museum and restored to original name and appearance.
Krusenstern, Kaliningrad, Russia.
Steel four-masted barque, 3064 tons, built in 1926 (the last Cape Horn sailer built) as Padua for the Laeisz Line of Germany.
1946: Delivered to USSR as war compensation, used as a school-ship.