A pocket trumpet is a normal b-flat trumpet, squashed down to a more portable size. The secret is in the arrangement.

If you took a regular trumpet and stretched it out alongside a stretched out pocket trumpet, the tubing would be roughly the same length. The difference is that in a pocket trumpet, the tubing is more tightly wound. Because of the arrangement, pocket trumpets are hard to tune if the player wants a traditional trumpet sound.

A pocket trumpet offers novelty, portability, and a generally low price. However, most other aspects of the instrument are sacrificed. Only in very high end models is the quality of sound produced equal to that of a good normal trumpet. Also, those high-end models tend to be more like a regular trumpet, often having a full size bell.

A pocket trumpet cannot really fit in your pocket. I have seen it done only once, and that was when pants with really huge pockets were popular. The band teacher let a skater kid try and get the whole thing in his side pocket; needless to say, he succeeded. Most pocket trumpets are about 9 inches long, with about a 4-inch bell. They cost around $200 used, maybe $300 or more new.

A pocket trumpet is a really cool thing to have for practice; fun at sporting events, and other times when a regular trumpet is not necessary and the bulk would be prohibitive. If you wish to buy a pocket trumpet, play several before deciding on one, and also check out used ones. Because of their popularity, used pocket trumpets are easy to come by.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.