An experimental language from Microsoft Research adding first class functions and an expressive type system to a C-like language designed to retain the resource and layout control that C and C++ provide, but without the unsafety associated with those langauges.

Vault (?), n. [OE. voute, OF. voute, volte, F. voute, LL. volta, for voluta, volutio, fr. L. volvere, volutum, to roll, to turn about. See Voluble, and cf. Vault a leap, Volt a turn, Volute.]

1. Arch.

An arched structure of masonry, forming a ceiling or canopy.

The long-drawn aisle and fretted vault.
Gray.

2.

An arched apartment; especially, a subterranean room, use for storing articles, for a prison, for interment, or the like; a cell; a cellar.

"Charnel vaults."

Milton.

The silent vaults of death.
Sandys.

To banish rats that haunt our vault.
Swift.

3.

The canopy of heaven; the sky.

That heaven's vault should crack.
Shak.

4. [F. volte, It. volta, originally, a turn, and the same word as volta an arch. See the Etymology above.]

A leap or bound.

Specifically:
  1. Man. The bound or leap of a horse; a curvet.
  2. A leap by aid of the hands, or of a pole, springboard, or the like.

⇒ The l in this word was formerly often suppressed in pronunciation.

Barrel, Cradle, Cylindrical, ∨ Wagon, vault Arch., a kind of vault having two parallel abutments, and the same section or profile at all points. It may be rampant, as over a staircase (see Rampant vault, under Rampant), or curved in plan, as around the apse of a church. -- Coved vault. Arch. See under 1st Cove, v. t. -- Groined vault Arch., a vault having groins, that is, one in which different cylindrical surfaces intersect one another, as distinguished from a barrel, or wagon, vault. -- Rampant vault. Arch. See under Rampant. -- Ribbed vault Arch., a vault differing from others in having solid ribs which bear the weight of the vaulted surface. True Gothic vaults are of this character. -- Vault light, a partly glazed plate inserted in a pavement or ceiling to admit light to a vault below.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vault (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Vaulted; p. pr. & vb. n. Vaulting.] [OE. vouten, OF. volter, vouter, F. vouter. See Vault an arch.]

1.

To form with a vault, or to cover with a vault; to give the shape of an arch to; to arch; as, vault a roof; to vault a passage to a court.

The shady arch that vaulted the broad green alley.
Sir W. Scott.

2. [See Vault, v. i.]

To leap over; esp., to leap over by aid of the hands or a pole; as, to vault a fence.

I will vault credit, and affect high pleasures.
Webster (1623).

 

© Webster 1913.


Vault, v. i. [Cf. OF. volter, F. voltiger, It. voltre turn. See Vault, n., 4.]

1.

To leap; to bound; to jump; to spring.

Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself.
Shak.

Leaning on his lance, he vaulted on a tree.
Dryden.

Lucan vaulted upon Pegasus with all the heat and intrepidity of youth.
Addison.

2.

To exhibit feats of tumbling or leaping; to tumble.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.