Russia's only national independent television station. Airing populist news and shows like “O, shchastlivchik" (O, You Lucky Thing) a Russian version of “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?.” They are one of the few critical voices of Russian politicians and politics in Russian media.Recently (March 2001), NTV said “NTV is your right to the truth. Come on Saturday," drawing thousands of protesters to defend the station from moves by the state-connected gas company Gazprom to silence its critical broadcasts through a buy-out. Ted Turner of CNN is also trying to buy NTV.

Vladimir Putin met with 11 NTV journalists on 30 January 2001 saying that the station would remain “as it is," and that he likes the channel, but he offered few other firm promises.
"I hope that we proved that we are united employees, a united team, and that either (they will) have to crush us all together or somehow work out another solution to the problem."
Svetlana Sorokina, a NTV talkshow host


"By not being afraid to criticise Putin to his face, these united journalists showed that times have changed."
Aleksei Simonov, head of the Glasnost press freedom defence fund

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.