Johnny Burke wrote the lyrics to this song after Erroll Garner, a guy who could not even read music, wrote this lovely melody. Having learned to play this song on the guitar, and then learning it on the piano, I cannot for the life of me understand how a man who could not read music wrote this. But I tip my hat to him, and thank both of them for the most lovely song I have ever heard in my life.


My girlfriend and I had been dating for a year, give or take a few months, and I was trying to get her to shack up with me. She was getting real close to taking me up on the offer, but then something changed dramatically in her tone. (A talk with her sainted dad? A talk with her friends?) It came to pass that this option was taken off the table.

So, we're at the Peabody Hotel one evening, sitting in the lobby, and I'm about as drunk as a man can get and still act like he is even close to being sober. A guy in a tuxedo comes over to the piano sitting right next to where we are on some couches, sits down, and looks at me. "Something you'd like to hear?" I asked him to play this song, and within the time it takes to change your life forever, I asked her to marry me. I'd never said that before, and she'd never heard that before. I don't think either of us would have had that moment without this song.





Look at me
I'm as helpless
As a kitten up a tree
And I feel like I'm
Clinging to a cloud,
I can't understand
I get misty
Just holding your hand.

Walk my way
And a thousand violins
Begin to play
Or it might be the
Sound of your hello
That music I hear
I get misty
The moment you're near.

Can't you see that you're leading me on?
And it's just what I want you to do.
Don't you notice how hopelessly I'm lost?
That's why I'm following you.

On my own
Will I wander through
This wonderland alone?
Never knowing my right foot
From my left
My hat from my glove?
I'm too misty
And too much in love.
Too misty
And too much
In love.....



CST approved

Mist"y (?), a. [Compar. Mistier (?); superl. Mistiest.] [AS. mistig. See Mist. In some senses misty has been confused with mystic.]

1.

Accompained with mist; characterized by the presence of mist; obscured by, or overspread with, mist; as, misty weather; misty mountains; a misty atmosphere.

2.

Obscured as if by mist; dim; obscure; clouded; as, misty sight.

The more I muse therein [theology], The mistier it seemeth. Piers Plowman.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.