MPR is a combination vaccine which is given to you (at least in Finland in a child welfare clinic) when you are 14-18 months and the second time when you are 6 years old. It includes vaccines against measles, mumps and German measles.
If you don't get the MPR-combination vaccine, you're a woman, and you get the German measles while pregrant there is a big chance that your child may born deaf or blind. Some people are allergic to the combination vaccine, and so was I.

I had just learned to walk, when I was given the MPR. At home I just sat on the floor, holding my legs and telling how much they hurt. The doctors decided not to give me the second MPR.
When I was about 15, I was given a chance to decide, if I wanted to have the combination vaccine or not. They told me the risks, and took samples of my blood to see if my immune system was good enough. The tests came back and they showed that there would be a good chance for me to get the MPR without any complications. I decided to take the combination vaccine, because I didn't want to have a deaf child. I wanted to see what would happen when they give the shot.
The day came when I had to have the MPR. I was in this big health center, waiting for my turn. I felt a bit scared, I was thinking about the possibilities what could happen, but I really didn't believe that anything would go wrong.
My turn came and I sat down. I rolled up my sleeve and they gave me the MPR. It hurt a bit. After that I had to stay there for half-an-hour, so they could give me the antidote if something went wrong. I waited... and waited... Nothing happened. There wasn't any numbness in my legs and I felt completely normal. The ordeal was over.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.