M.A.X. is one game that can't get enough acclaim. M.A.X. (Mechanized Assault and eXploration) finds itself bridging the gap between in-depth turn-based strategy games such as Steel Panthers and real-time twitch strategy games such as Starcraft. This combination is guaranteed to insure M.A.X. is neither too boring nor too mindless.

M.A.X., published by industry god Interplay (they brought us the Fallout series) can be played either turn-based or semi-real-time. This semi-real-time mode is both real-time and turn-based. Both sides can move at the same time, but their units get a limited number of unit-specific action points, used for moving and attacking, that can only be replenished at the end of the turn. The beauty in this is that you can click on your opponent's units to see how many action points they have left. This turns the game into chess with rocket launchers and espionage, as it's up to you to figure out what moves you can make with the greatest benefits and least repercussions. The only random variables in the game are the espionage functions, which insure that this game has practically no twitch elements.

Unlike most games, the AI is not entirely dumb. They lack strategy, but they make up for it in ability modifiers you can set before the game. They do not just walk into death. They know when to pursue, and when to retreat. This is a good thing, because multiplayer support is shoddy at best. There is no internet gameplay (this game is pretty aged now) and modem/LAN games are prone to crashing. The missions are brilliant in design and extremely challenging even at the first mission. The skirmish mode is implented good as well.

The sprite graphics are still pretty after all these years. Sprites have seemed to be the best path for strategy games thus far, and this game is a shining example. The sound is outstanding,. With excellent, futuristic ambience for a score, and high-quality effects, this game is still one of the best I've heard, sound-wise.

If you are a fan of RTS, I suggest picking up the thinking man's version of Starcraft. There are hundreds of hours of gameplay in this one CD that you can probably pick up for $5. And don't bother with the sequel. It's just bloatware full of bugs. The original is perfectly suitable, even by today's standards. Buy it, or your children may be in danger.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.