Polish town at the confluence of the Oder and Warta rivers. The name in German is Küstrin.
Founded in the 12th century to control river traffic, Kostrzyn is an important traffic cusp to this day, with a border crossing and a riverport.
During the violent fighting at the end of World War II, in 1945, Kostrzyn was almost entirely destroyed, but the town has since been rebuilt, and is today a thriving factory and port town.
Population (1995): 16,900