WARNING! WILD AND CRAZY SPOILERS! AAAIIEEEEEE!


Title: Camelot
Release Date: March 1998
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (Hippolyta), Aquaman, Green Lantern, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Steel, Plastic Man, Zauriel, and the Huntress.
Guest Stars: Lois Lane.
Bad Guys: Prometheus.

So what happens?
Three months after the JLA was disbanded, they're holding a big press conference in their lunar Watchtower to announce that they're reforming. They introduce the new members: Steel, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Huntress, and Wonder Woman (or Hippolyta, or whatever you wanna call her--basically, she's the regular Wonder Woman's mom, and she was Wonder Woman during WWII).

Among the guests are Daily Planet reporters Clark Kent (actually the Martian Manhunter shapeshifted to look like Clark, since Superman has to be there to show off the Watchtower), Lois Lane, and Cat Grant, as well as a new superhero named Retro, who is, of all things, a winner of the "Join the JLA for a Day" Contest.

However, Retro isn't really Retro--he's a villain named Prometheus who killed Retro so he could get aboard the Watchtower and kill off the JLA. Prometheus has no powers, but he's smart, he's got high-tech gadgets, including a neural CD drive that lets him hardwire knowledge directly into his nervous system, he's got a "Cosmic Key" that he can use to transport himself and others to his hideout in the "Ghost Zone" (the rest of the DC Universe calls it the Phantom Zone), and he's made extensive plans for exactly how to take the JLA down.

Prometheus soon gets a virus inside Steel's armor that orders him to take a walk and start doing serious damage to the Watchtower. He downloads the Watchtower blueprints into his brain, then injects the Martian Manhunter with a toxin that makes him unable to hold any shape. After that, he sets fire to the hydroponic gardens that supply the Watchtower with oxygen.

Next, Prometheus shuts the teleporters down, transports Zauriel into the Ghost Zone and hypnotizes and knocks out Huntress. He downloads a disk of the world's greatest martial artists into his nervous system and kicks Batman's ass. He destroys Green Lantern's concentration with "neural chaff", making it impossible for him to use his power ring and he tells the Flash that the whole Watchtower has been rigged with bombs that will explode if they detect any use of superspeed. Prometheus has the JLA over the barrel...

Cool Quotes!
Lois Lane, as the Martian Manhunter prepares to shapeshift into Clark Kent: "Is it okay if I don't watch this? Seeing people change shape always makes me feel kinda weird."
Martian Manhunter: "You can turn around now, Miss Lane. I'm decent."
Lois: "Call me Lois, huh? People are gonna think our marriage is in ruins."

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.