In Australia, fast-food giant Burger King once only existed in very few locations, (for instance, the sole Melbourne store was situated in Tullamarine Airport), and the only chain hamburger store to rival McDonald's was the oddly-named Hungry Jack's. Featuring the same menu and even the same name-between-a-bun logo as the U.S. company, many have pondered why a name change was used at all. After all, McDonald's, Pizza Hut and KFC all survived the transition to the land down under with their monikers intact, why not Burger King? Don't hamburgers sell well unless the vendor has an apostrophe in their name? Franchising laws?

Actually, the real answer is somewhat unnerving; thankfully I can explain without any fear of repercussion as no one knows who I am on this system. I used to work for the Australian subsidiery of Burger King, and I was involved in polls that were run on the Australian (Melbourne in my case) population. The Burger King Corporaton (In the U.S. it's Burger King Brands Incorporated) decided that Australian people would not want to buy fast-food from a company that would appear to challenge the Monarchy (ie. the 'King' of Burger King). Hence, groups of people were selected at random and asked if they knew what the Queen of England's name was. When the percentage of people who could correctly answer the question became low enough(personally, I did not know what the exact figure was), Burger King decided that they could start building stores here under that name without fear that the public would turn against them. The truth is stranger than fiction.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.