Frangipani Pie is one of my all-time favourite desserts. Doubtless many of my fellow Australians (and particularly Queenslanders) will feel the same way, for it is often the high point of a barbecue or picnic, and so provokes strong memories of happy family occasions.

Frangipani Pie is invariably made according to the recipe provided by Golden Circle, a Queensland-based fruit-processing factory. The recipe was (is?) often printed on the label of cans of Golden Circle Crushed Pineapple in Syrup, the main ingredient of the pie. The recipe is so popular that it resides in the 'All Time Favourites' section of Golden Circle's online recipe archive.

Frangipani Pie is a pie shell filled with alternating layers of coconut- and pineapple-flavoured 'creams' then topped with a golden meringue. It takes its name from the flower, not the French pastry made from cream and almonds. Like the flower, the pie is a wonderful blend of creamy white and glowing gold with a heady tropical fragrance.

I will reprint the recipe here exactly as it appears on Golden Circle's recipe card, adding Imperial units and alternate names for ingredients for the convenience of my North American friends.

Frangipani Pie

Ingredients

1 cooked 20cm (8") pastry shell or crumb crust

Pineapple Layer
450g (1lb) can Golden Circle Crushed Pineapple in Syrup
1/4 cup cornflour (corn starch) mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten

Coconut Cream Layer
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornflour (corn starch) mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
1 cup dessicated (dried, finely shredded) coconut
1 tbsp (4 tsp) butter
1 tsp vanilla (vanilla essence or extract)

Meringue
2 egg whites
4 tbsp (5 tbsp plus 1 tsp) caster sugar (finely granualted sugar; finer than ordinary sugar, not as fine as confectioner's sugar)

Serves 8
Prep Time 20 min
Cook Time 15 min


Method

Pineapple Layer: Pour the crushed pineapple into a saucepan, add the cornflour mixture and bring to the boil stirring continuously. Cook for 1 minute, then remove the pan from the heat. Quickly stir in the egg yolks and set the mixture aside to cool.

Coconut Cream Layer: In a saucepan over a low heat, heat the milk and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Add the cornflour mixture stirring continuously until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove the pan from the heat, and then add the coconut, butter and vanilla. Set aside to cool.

Meringue: Whip the egg whites until light and fluffy. Gradually add the caster sugar, beating well between each addition until the sugar is dissolved.

Assembly: Preheat the oven to 180oC (355oF). Spoon half the coconut cream mixture into the pie shell. Add the pineapple mixture, then the remaining coconut cream. Top with the meringue. Bake for 15 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned and cooked.

Serve with sand in your toes instead of frost on the lawn, with your family together in one place instead of scattered all over the planet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.