In the Vampire: The Masquerade role-playing game from White Wolf Game Studios, Fortitude is the vampiric discipline of supernatural resilience. It allows vampires to "soak" far more damage than any human would even survive, and to do so without penalty. The ultimate application of this power (as wielded by the Ravnos Antediluvian) once allowed a vampire to survive while standing at Ground Zero of a nuclear strike. Of course, only an almost godlike vampire could survive such a thing -- most vampires will go down eventually.

For"ti*tude (?), n. [L. fortitudo, fr. fortis strong. See Fort.]

1.

Power to resist attack; strength; firmness.

[Obs.]

The fortitude of the place is best known to you. Shak.

2.

That strength or firmness of mind which enables a person to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or despondency; passive courage; resolute endurance; firmness in confronting or bearing up against danger or enduring trouble.

Extolling patience as the truest fortitude. Milton.

Fortitude is the guard and support of the other virtues. Locke.

Syn. -- Courage; resolution; resoluteness; endurance; bravery. See Courage, and Heroism.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.