(1948 - ) Documentary film director, born Long Island, New York.

I haven't seen Morris's first two documentaries, Gates of Heaven and Vernon, Florida, but they're worth checking out if they're anything like his later work.

The Thin Blue Line is considered to be a breakthrough work in documentary filmmaking. It tells the story of a man wrongly accused of murder by a zealous judge and DA based on weak circumstantial evidence. Morris reenacts the stories of various people involved in a stylized but tremendously effective manner, using tools such as slow motion to highlight varioius points. There's no narration aside from that provided by interview subjects, and a Phillip Glass soundtrack.

A Brief History of Time builds on the aesthetic Morris developed in his earlier films, and was more of a commercial success. It's successfully captures the complex concepts of Stephen Hawking's book and relates them in a way that most people can understand.

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control is a bit more conceptual, but also amazingly effective and affecting. It examines the future of humans and technology through interviews with a topiary gardener, a lion trainer, a mole rat researcher and a roboticist.

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A Leuchter, Jr. tells the story of a simple electric chair and lethal injection machine repairman from Massachusetts who gets caught up a big fiasco when he tries to defend a holocaust revisionist at a trial in Canada.

If you've seen any of these films and like them, you should check out the rest.

props to the imdb

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.