Comma-shaped structure, adhering to the testis at the top and to the rear. Composed of the canaliculi efferentes, the tubules which exit the testis near the top at the rear, the coni vasculosi or cone-shaped assemblies, each composed of single, convoluted ductuli efferentes which may be 4 to 6 cm in length and approx. 0.6mm in diameter, and the ductus epididymis, a tortuous, highly tangled tubule which may be as long as 6m in the adult human male. Considered to end in the ductus deferens, a tubule of about 45cm length.

The epididymis receives sperm from the seminiferous tubules of the testis and stores it.

It takes about 20 days for sperm to pass through the 6-m-long tubules of each epididymis of a human male. During this passage, the sperm become motile and gain the ability to fertilize.

During ejaculation, the sperm are propelled from the epididymis through the muscular vas deferens.

Ep`i*did"y*mis (?), n. [NL., fr. Gr. ; upon + testicle.] Anat.

An oblong vermiform mass on the dorsal side of the testicle, composed of numerous convolutions of the excretory duct of that organ.

-- Ep`i*did"y*mal (#), a.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.