Dongshan Salsa:

Toast dried guajillo and chilhuacle negro chillies in a dry pan for three to four minutes being careful not to scorch them as this will turn them bitter. Transfer to water just below the boiling point. Again, bitterness can result if the water is boiling. Take the pot from the stove and allow the chillies to rest in the water for twenty minutes or so. You can also reconstitute the chillies in warm water over night. Remove the chillies, strain any remaining seeds from the water. Taste the water. If it is not bitter then you will have a spicy, smoky liquid that can enhance any broth or stock so reserve it. Remove the stems from the chillies and chop. Add to the roasted red pepper base above. Add more rosemary to augment the pine flavour of the guajillo and more lemon juice and chopped plum tomato to lift the smoky fruit flavour of the chilhuacle. Add a minced jalapeno or so for the fresh green taste. Salt and pepper to taste.

This is very good used with the following menu idea:

Red Cabbage Coleslaw: Quarter a red cabbage, remove the core and chop quarters into ¼ inch slices. Separate the layers as they are placed in a serving bowl. Add a small amount of diced red onion, very thin slices of white onion. Season with a substantial amount of rosemary, salt, fresh cracked black peppercorns, fresh lime and lemon juice, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, Dongshan salsa olive oil and lemon zest. Toss and garnish with more fresh cracked black peppercorn.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.