Day of Zeux (often abbreviated
DoZ by the ones who participate) is a competition
and management are both users
, a GCS
created by Greg Janson, a famous ZZT
How it plays out:
- A host is decided by the general Megazeux community (which resides at http://www.digitalmzx.net and #mzx on esper.net on IRC).
- This host picks the judges for the competition.
- The host picks a topic, but doesn't tell anybody.
- Teams of up to three are created by competitors.
- A number buffer assigns team numbers to teams.
- The day arrives. Everybody shows up in the #mzx IRC channel to hear the topic.
- Once topic is announced, teams have exactly twenty-four hours to create a Megazeux-generated computer game based on the topic.
- After the twenty-four are over, the games must be zipped and sent to the host.
- The host checks the games for disqualifications.
- The host removes all DQ'd games and releases all the other ones for everyone (including the judges) to play.
- The judges play all the games and judge them on a set criterion.
- The judges send in their scores and the host tallies them up.
- The host then releases the scores and announces the winners.
- Lather, rinse, repeat.
(they change from competition to competition, but there are still the same general set of rules)
- All parts of the entry except music must be made inside of the twenty-four hour block.
- Teams may have a maximum of three participants.
- Nowhere in the game may you have information concerning the identities of the creators.
- All entries must be compatible with the most recent version of Megazeux
- All scores are final.
"The DoZ is a time-honoured tradition founded in 1998, based off of small contests called Blitzkrieg Zeuxes. These consisted of making a game in ten to sixty minutes & seeing who could make the best game in such a short amount of time."
The first DoZ was done in the summer of 1998.
TOPIC: Time Travel
DATE: winter, 1998
DATE: spring, 1999
WINNER: Team of Doom
DATE: winter, 1999
WINNER: Team of Doom
DATE: summer, 2000
WINNER: Final Revolution
DATE: winter, 2000
DATE: summer, 2001
*TOPIC: Rebirth or Bloodthirsty Plants
DATE: winter, 2001
*TOPIC: Stability or Forces of Nature
WINNER: NFTN (No Fucking Team Name)
*Those were Dualstream Zeuxes. You could only do one of the two. They actually had 3 winners, one overall, one for the first category and one for the second category. The overall winner is shown.
Why People Do It: