Camargue: "The French Texas"!

This is one French region which seriously merits a visit!
It is located in the delta of the Rhone River and is sometimes called the "French Texas" for its wild, untamed feeling.
Truly just a small part of France, (only spanning two main towns -- Arles and Sainte Marie de la Mer), the area has a large open feeling making it feel much bigger than it is.
Adding to that -- cowboys, riding superb white horses, keep herds of bulls on lands that are often submerged in the swamps -- it truly has a "home on the range" feel.
The Camargue is also known for its geographical diversity and the fragility of it ecosystem.
Cultivating salt and rice quite naturally, it is also home to 5000 pink flamingos that have chosen this area as their home.
Many guided tours of the Camargue are organized on horseback, by foot, jeep or bicycle. Whatever you choose, don't forget the anti-fly spray!!


How to make the most out of your holiday in Camargue

RECREATION

Horseback excursion (with pink and yellow flashing lights around it, an absolute must)
Horses are an obvious means of discovering Camargue. The Association Camarguaise de Tourisme Equestre in Saintes- Maries-de-la-Mer, offers guided tours for all levels of horsemanship.
Phone: +33 (0)4 90 97 83 23.

Mountain excursions
Camargue has three large discovery circuits:
- The "lakes and pink flamingœs path" to the Sea Dike and the Fangassier saltwater lagoon (22 km).
- "The salt path" around the salt pans.
- "Le rice path" includes a visit to the rice museum ("Musée du Riz") and the Capelière reserve.
Information from Fugues en France +33 (0)3 60 75 88 33.


ACCOMMODATION

Guest rooms, road posts (inns) and country lodges
Information at Gîtes de France
Domaine du Vergon
BP 26
13370 Mallemort.
Phone: +33 (0)4 90 59 18 05.


ADDRESSES

The Camargue Regional Nature Park Administration - "Maison du Parc" e-mail :
camargue-parc.naturel.regional@wanadoo.fr

"Centre d'information de Ginès"
13460 Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.
Phone: +33 (0)4 90 97 86 32.

"Musée Camarguais"
Mas du Pont de Rousty
13200 Arles.
Phone: +33 (0)4 90 97 10 82.

Departmental Tourism and Hiking Committees (CDRP)
CDT des Bouches-du-Rhône:
13, rue Roux-de- Brignoles
13006 Marseille
Phone: +33 (0)4 91 13 84 13.

"CDRP des Bouches-du-Rhône":
C/O M. Busti
54, rue d'Alger
13005 Marseille.

Office du tourisme des Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer:
5, avenue Van-Gogh BP 34
13732 Les Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer.
Phone: +33 (0)4 40 97 82 55.


(various sources)
I have to add my own darling horse is a Carmargue rig, and if you have time and holiday possibilities, consider checking this region out! (good wine too!)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.