To an electric guitarist, rig refers to the collection of her performance equipment, including guitars, amps, effects pedals, cables, picks, etc.

Noun, colloquial: A truck, especially a large truck (eighteen wheels or more).

Equipment used to inject drugs. Includes, among other things, surgical tubing or a belt to tighten around the upper-arm, just below the bicep in order to increase pressure in the vein on the inside of the elbow; a spoon for mixing the drug into a solution with water; and a hypodermic needle, of course, for injecting the drug.

Rig - A male horse or pony who has either one or both testes undescended and retained, ie retained in the abdomen.
In layman's terms: basically, a badly castrated male horse who has the hormone balance of a stallion, but is un-fertile for biological reasons (body heat rendering the sperm useless)

See: stallion, gelding, mare, foal, filly, steed.

Rig (?), n. [See Ridge.]

A ridge.

[Prov. or Scott.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Rig, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rigged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rigging (?).] [Norweg. rigga to bind, particularly, to wrap round, rig; cf. AS. wrihan to cover.]

1.

To furnish with apparatus or gear; to fit with tackling.

2.

To dress; to equip; to clothe, especially in an odd or fanciful manner; -- commonly followed by out.

Jack was rigged out in his gold and silver lace. L'Estrange.

To rig a purchase, to adapt apparatus so as to get a purchase for moving a weight, as with a lever, tackle, capstan, etc. -- To rig a ship Naut., to fit the shrouds, stays, braces, etc., to their respective masts and yards.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rig, n.

1. Naut.

The peculiar fitting in shape, number, and arrangement of sails and masts, by which different types of vessels are distinguished; as, schooner rig, ship rig, etc. See Illustration in Appendix.

2.

Dress; esp., odd or fanciful clothing.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Rig, n [Cf. Wriggle.]

1.

A romp; a wanton; one given to unbecoming conduct.

[Obs.]

Fuller.

2.

A sportive or unbecoming trick; a frolic.

3.

A blast of wind.

[Prov. Eng.]

Wright.

That uncertain season before the rigs of Michaelmas were yet well composed. Burke.

To run a rig, to play a trick; to engage in a frolic; to do something strange and unbecoming.

He little dreamt when he set out Of running such a rig. Cowper.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rig, v. i.

To play the wanton; to act in an unbecoming manner; to play tricks.

"Rigging and rifling all ways."

Chapman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rig, v. t.

To make free with; hence, to steal; to pilfer.

[Obs. or Prov.]

Tusser.

To rig the market Stock Exchange, to raise or lower market prices, as by some fraud or trick. [Cant]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.