The means by which Jeremy Bentham
thought any individual
could determine the utility
of an action
. Bentham was one of the first proponents of Utilitarianism
According to Bentham, The Calculus of Felicity is a series of questions an individual should consider when evaluating the happiness an action will yield.
- Intensity - How intense is the happiness?
- Duration - How long will the happiness last?
- Certainty - How sure is the individual that the action will make them happy?
- Propinquity - How soon will the individual be happy?
- Fecundity - Will the action produce even more pleasure?
- Purity - How free from pain is the happiness?
- Extent - How many people are affected by this action?