The CCBBA Karate Curriculum Green Belt To Purple Belt

The green belt student adds the round kick to their repertoire as well as building strength and competence in the basis techniques.  Their graduation to purple belt signifies the transition from beginner to serious student.  The color purple symbolizes the majesty of the student's commitment to the martial arts.

Purple Belt Graduation Requirements

  1. White Belt Basics
  2. Gold belt Combinations
  3. Green belt Combinations
  4. Four/Six Count Side Kick
  5. Three/Four Count Round Kick
  6. One Minute Balance Kicks
  7. One Step Sparring (1-8)
  8. Fast Rhythm Sparring
  9. Kam Sah Form (Respect)
  10. Kyu Yool Form (Discipline)
  11. Jayoo Form (Freedom)
  12. Chosan Form (Ancestors)
  13. Self-Defense (1-10)
  14. Speech: "Karate and Self Discipline"
  15. Attendance: 36 Classes
  16. Physical fitness Five perfect military-style pushups, 30 crunch situps, 200 jumping jacks
  17. Weight training Three sets of eight repetitions curls, flys, bench press, wrist curls.

Technique Descriptions & Discussion

Green Belt Combinations
  1. Back leg front kick, back leg round kick, back punch
  2. Front leg round kick, front leg side kick, back punch
  3. Back leg round kick, reverse side kick, back ridge hand.
Chosan Form (Ancestors)

Chosan is a martial ballet performed to "God Bless America."

Ready Position: Attention stance with hands at your side . All directions assume that you are facing north. 

  1. Left hand covers right fist in front of your chest.
  2. Turn west and step into a left chop block
  3. Right back punch.
  4. Turn 180 degrees clockwise to face east, stepping into a right chop block
  5. Left back punch.
  6. Feet together facing east, then step north with a left chop block.
  7. Right back punch.
  8. Turn 180 degrees clockwise to face south, stepping into a right chop block
  9. Left back punch.
  10. Turn 180 degrees clockwise to face north, stepping into a high right chop.
  11. Right back leg front kick.
  12. Step through with a right back fist.
  13. Left high chop.
  14. Left front leg front kick.
  15. Step through with a left back fist.
  16. Turn 180 degrees clockwise to face south, stepping into a right chop block.
  17. Left back punch.
  18. Left chop block.
  19. Right back punch.
  20. Right chop block.
  21. Left back punch.
  22. Left front kick.
  23. Step into a traditional right front stance with arms forming a diagonal line across the body, right arm up, left arm down, open palm.
  24. Step back, feet together, then step into a traditional left front stance with arms forming a diagonal line across the body, left arm up, right arm down, open palm.
  25. Step back into an upright stance, with arms stretched out horizontally.
  26. Cross arms then extend outward and upward in front of the body at a 45 degree angle.
  27. Step forward with the left leg into a kneeling position with the right knee touching the floor and your arms forming the moon vision.
  28. Open both arms to horizontal position.
  29. Stand up and step into a left chop block.
  30. Right back punch.
  31. Cross hands at eye level, then trace a circle down and up to meet above your head with the left fist covered by the right open hand.
  32. Lower the covered fist to eye level.
  33. Turn 180 degrees counterclockwise to face north then step forward with the left leg into a kneeling position with the right knee touching the floor and your arms forming the moon vision.
  34. Open both arms to horizontal position.
  35. Stand up and step into a left chop block.
  36. Right back punch.
  37. Cross hands at eye level, then trace a circle down and up to meet above your head with the left fist covered by the right open hand.
  38. Lower the covered fist to eye level.
  39. Bow with your eyes straight ahead.
  40. Stand up straight hands at your side in an attention stance.
Three Count Round Kick

The round (or roundhouse) kick is one of the most versatile and powerful techniques in Karate.  A well executed back leg round kick can break many boards and is effective against targets from knee level to head level.  Correctly executing the round kick comes naturally to most students as it most closely approximates a natural or untrained kick.  Count kicks are executed one discrete step at a time allowing the student to focus their attention and effort on correct form, and balance.  The three count round kick is executed as follows:

  1. Up and Pivot.  Point the standing leg heel at the target.  This movement "cocks" the leg like a taut spring.  The hands are held high, protecting the face.  The heel of the standing leg is pointed at the target aligning the body for a faster and stronger motion.  The knee of the kicking leg is pointed at the target with the with the heel of the kicking foot cocked back as close to your buttocks as possible. The toes of the kicking foot should be arched back as far as possible.*
  2. Kick.  The kicking leg is snapped out and back as quickly as possible.  The ball of the kicking foot should contact the target first.  The round kick can be executed at any level, and is equally effective against knees, abdomen and head.  For count kicks, the side kick should be belt level or higher.
  3. Down.  The kicking leg should be lowered and the student resume a normal fighting stance.

* Several striking surfaces are possible with the round kick, including the ball of the foot,  instep and toes.

Rhythm Sparring

Rhythm sparring is used as a precursor to free sparring.  Properly performed, it will allow the student to become comfortable in a combat situation.  Student also gain experience in throwing and blocking techniques while moving around.  Some students will be afraid of the sparring activity in general and rhythm sparring often allows them to ease into the more combat oriented aspects of Karate more gently. Rhythm sparring is performed with full protective gear to reduce the risk of injury.  

In rhythm sparring, you choose a partner, bow and then take fighting stances.  One person goes first, throwing a single offensive technique, for example a round kick.  The second partner blocks the kick and counters with a single offensive attack.  Partner one counters this with a block and an attack etc. Initially, the pace of the attack and counter rhythm is slow, but as the students develop confidence, the speed may be gradually increased.  Once the rhythm has been increased as much as possible, the instruction can be given to increase each attack to two techniques rather than one.  Then three and so on.

Students should be reminded to move around and switch their attacking side on occasion.  They should always maintain blocking positions with their hands and arms to cover the face, ribs, abdomen and groin.

Protective Gear

Protective gear consists of padded "fists," "kicks," chest pads, shin guards and a helmet. These allow full contact sparring with minimal risk of injury.  There are many supplier for Karate protective gear, but one of the most friendly and comprehensive is the Asian World of Martial Arts.1 


Want More?

CCBBA Karate Curriculum | Gold belt | Green belt | Purple belt | Blue belt | Red belt | 1st Degree Brown belt | 2nd Degree Brown belt | Black belt | Tae Kwon Do Terminology | Tae Kwon Do | Karate | Martial Arts

Acknowlegements:  Muchas Gracias to the steadfast and resolute Ms. T for her astute and insightful editorial assistance, also to the thaumaturgic dannye for explicating the intricacies of multi-volume noding.

1 Asian World of Martial Arts website: http://www.awma.com
NOTE: The AWMA website provides limited international sales: http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/shippinginfo.htm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.