The CCBBA Karate Curriculum Red Belt to 1st Degree Brown Belt

The first degree brown belt signifies that the student has entered the ranks of the elite within the Karate school.  (S)/he is accorded the respect due all of the instructors at the school and is expected to participate in all the school's functions including attending any Karate tournaments that the school sanctions or competes in.

The brown color symbolizes the toughness, strength and grit of the organic world.  Like the dense gnarled grain of oak wood, the student develops a strength unique to their temperament and abilities.  Brown belt students are maturing both as martial artists and as individuals. 

1st Degree Brown Belt Graduation Requirements

  1. White Belt Basics
  2. Gold belt Combinations
  3. Green belt Combinations
  4. Purple belt Combinations
  5. Blue belt Combinations
  6. Red belt Combinations
  7. Count Kicks (Front, Side, Round, Hook)
  8. One Minute Balance Kicks
  9. Combination Counters (1-8)
  10. Fast Rhythm Sparring
  11. Free Sparring
  12. Point Sparring
  13. Kam Sah Form (Respect)
  14. Kyu Yool Form (Discipline)
  15. Jayoo Form (Freedom)
  16. Chosan Form (Ancestors)
  17. Jungyee Form (Justice)
  18. Pyung Fa Form (Peace)
  19. Yul Kok Form (Philosophy)
  20. Hwa Rang Form (Flowering Youth)
  21. Chung Mu Form (Regrettable Death)
  22. Breaking (One Board, Knife Hand)
  23. Breaking (One Board, Side Kick)
  24. Rolls Forward Jump, Left & Right Side Jump
  25. Self-Defense (1-10) plus followup
  26. Stage Fighting 1 - 3
  27. Speech "Honesty in the Heart"
  28. Attendance: 54 Classes
  29. Physical fitness 25 perfect military-style pushup, 200 crunch situps, 400 jumping jacks
  30. Weight training Three sets of eight repetitions curls, flys, bench press, wrist curls.
  31. Teaching (white through purple belt level) five lessons.

Technique Descriptions & Discussion

Red Belt Combinations
  1. Back outside crescent kick, back punch, back round kick, back punch
  2. Front side kick, jump front side kick, back punch.
  3. Jump back leg side kick, back reverse hook kick,  back ridge hand.
Hwa Rang Form (Flowering Youth)

Hwa Rang is named for a youth group that formed during the Silla Dynasty in the sixth century A.D. This group was fundamental in the unification of the three kingdoms of Korea.

Ready Position: Upright ready stance with your feet together and your open left hand covering your open right hand at belt level in front of you . All directions assume that you are facing north. 

  1. Step out with the left foot into a horse stance as you execute a middle pushing block with the left palm fist. Kihap.
  2. Right middle punch.
  3. Left middle punch.
  4. Bring the right foot to the left foot, keeping the knees bent.  Pivot west 90 degrees clockwise on the left foot into a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a twin forearm block.
  5. Without changing stance, execute a middle inward block with the left fist and cross the right fist to the left shoulder.
  6. Step west into a front stance with the right leg forward as you execute an offensive right front punch.
  7. Pull the right foot inward to an upright stance as you execute a downward knife hand strike with the right hand.
  8. Step west with the left foot to assume a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a front punch with the left fist.
  9. Pivot north 90 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot into a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a low block with the left fist.
  10. Step north with the right foot into a front stance with the right foot forward as you execute a front punch with the right fist.
  11. Bring the left foot together with the right foot in an upright stance as you cover the right fist with the left palm.
  12. Pull both arms inward as you execute a defensive side kick with the right leg.  Set down into a back stance with the right leg forward as you execute a knife hand strike with the right hand.
  13. Step north with the left foot into a front stance with the left foot forward.  Execute a front punch with the left fist.
  14. Step north with the right foot into a front stance with the right foot forward.  Execute a front punch with the right fist. Kihap.
  15. Pivot east 270 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot into a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  16. Step east with the right foot into a front stance with the right foot forward as you execute a vertical spear finger strike with the right hand.
  17. Pivot west 180 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot into a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  18. Execute a high back leg round kick with the right leg then set down into an upright stance with the right leg forward.
  19. Execute a high back leg round kick with the left leg then set down into back stance with the left leg forward.  Execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  20. Pivot north 90 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot into a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a low fist block with the left hand.
  21. Pull the left foot back into a back stance with the left foot forward and execute a reverse punch with the right fist.
  22. Step north with right foot into a back stance with the right foot forward as you execute a reverse punch with the left fist.
  23. Step north with left foot into a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a reverse punch with the right fist.
  24. Slide the left foot forward to assume a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a low x-block.
  25. Pivot south 180 degrees counterclockwise on the left foot to assume a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a back elbow strike with the right elbow.
  26. Bring the left foot to the right foot, then pivot east, 90 degrees clockwise to assume an upright stance with the toes pointing east as you execute a high-low block with the right fist up and the left fist down.
  27. Without changing stance, execute a high-low block with the left fist up and the right fist down.
  28. Step east with the left foot into a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a left chop block.
  29. Bring the left foot to the right foot then step west with the right foot into a back stance with the right foot forward as you execute a chop block with the right hand.  Kihap.
Chung Mu Form (Regrettable Death)

Chung Mu was the nickname of the famous Korean admiral Yi Sun-Sin who is rumored to have invented the first armored battleship during the Yi Dynasty in 1592 A.D.  The Chung Mu form symbolizes his death in battle.

Assume a parallel ready stance with the feet positioned shoulder width apart and the two fists touching in front at belt level.

  1. Pivot west 90 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot into a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a twin knife hand blockKihap.
  2. Step west with the right foot into a front stance with the right foot forward as you execute a high inward knife hand strike with the right hand.  Bring the left hand into a high block at forehead level.
  3. Pivot east 180 degrees clockwise on the left foot to assume a back stance with the right foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the right hand.
  4. Step east with the left foot to assume a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a high knife hand with the left hand.
  5. Pivot north 90 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot to assume a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  6. Bring your right foot together with your left foot in an upright stance facing south as you place your left fist, knuckles up, at waist level on your left side, then cover your left fist with your right fist with the thumb up.
  7. Execute a defensive side kick with the right leg while .
  8. Lower the right leg into a back stance with the left leg forward and turn your head 180 degrees to face north.
  9. Step north with the right foot, then execute a jump front leg front kick with the right leg. Land the kick in a back stance with the right leg forward and execute a middle front chop with the right hand.
  10. Pivot east 270 degrees counterclockwise to assume a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a low chop block with the left arm.
  11. Slide the left foot forward into a Left front stance as you extend both arms into a head grab.
  12. Pull both hands downward in a head smash as you bring the right knee up in a middle knee strike. Lower the right foot in an upright stance facing east.
  13. Pivot west 180 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot, then step west  with the left foot into a front stance with the left foot forward.  Execute a horizontal high knife hand strike with the right hand as you bring the left hand under the right elbow.
  14. Execute a high back round kick with the right foot. 
  15. Set the right leg down into an upright stance then immediately execute a left leg reverse side kick to the west.
  16. Set the left leg down into a back stance facing east with the right leg forward.  Execute a middle outer fist block with the right fist.
  17. Execute a back leg round kick with the left foot.
  18. Set the left foot down next to the right foot, then pivot south 90 degrees clockwise to step south into a back stance with the right foot forward.  As you step out, execute a middle stick-block.
  19. Jump straight up and spin 360 degrees counterclockwise to land in a back stance with the right foot forward.  As you land, execute a right middle chop block.
  20. Step north with the left foot into a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a low spear-finger thrust with the right hand.
  21. Pull the left foot back into a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a high back fist with the right hand and a low chop block with the left hand.
  22. Step north with the right foot into a front stance with the right foot forward as you execute a right forward vertical spear finger.  The right hand should be palm down underneath the left elbow.
  23. Pivot east 270 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot to assume a front stance with the left foot forward.  Execute a high inner block with the left fist.
  24. Step east out into a horse stance as you execute a middle block to the east with the right fist, then a high back fist with the right fist.
  25. Pivot west 180 degrees counterclockwise on the left foot as you execute a back leg side kick with the right leg.
  26. Set the right foot down and immediately execute a back leg side kick with the left leg.
  27. Set the left foot down then pivot east 180 degrees clockwise to assume a back stance with the right leg forward.  Execute a middle knife hand x-block.
  28. Step west with the left foot into a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute an upward block with both palms facing upward.
  29. Pivot east 180 degrees clockwise on the left foot to assume a front stance with the right leg forward as you execute a rising fist block with the right fist.
  30. Without changing stance, execute a middle reverse block with the left fist.  Kihap.

Want More?

CCBBA Karate Curriculum | Gold belt | Green belt | Purple belt | Blue belt | Red belt | 1st Degree Brown belt | 2nd Degree Brown belt | Black belt | Tae Kwon Do Terminology | Tae Kwon Do | Karate | Martial Arts

Acknowlegements:  Muchas Gracias to the steadfast and resolute Ms. T for her astute and insightful editorial assistance, also to the thaumaturgic dannye for explicating the intricacies of multi-volume noding.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.