The CCBBA Karate Curriculum Gold Belt To Green Belt

The Gold belt student has achieved competence in the six basic techniques used in Karate. In studying for the rank of Green belt, the student will solidify the knowledge they have gained thus far as well as adding five additional self defense techniques and the first real Hyung (form).  The green color of this belt is symbolic of the growing knowledge that the student has acquired thus far.

Green Belt Graduation Requirements

  1. White Belt Basics
  2. Gold belt Combinations
  3. Four/Six Count Side Kick
  4. Three/Four Count Round Kick
  5. One Minute Balance Kicks
  6. One Step Sparring (1-6)
  7. Kam Sah Form (Respect)
  8. Yol Kuk Form (Discipline)
  9. Jayoo Form (Freedom)
  10. Self-Defense (1-10)
  11. Speech "Karate and Self Defense"
  12. Attendance: 25 Classes
  13. Physical fitness Five perfect military-style pushups, 30 crunch situps, 200 jumping jacks
  14. Weight training Three sets of eight repetitions curls, flys, bench press, wrist curls.

Technique Descriptions & Discussion

Gold Belt Combinations
  1. Front punch, back punch, front ridge hand.
  2. Front punch, offensive front leg front kick, back punch.
  3. Front punch, offensive front leg side kick, back punch.
  4. Front punch, offensive front leg round kick, back ridge hand.
Three Count Front Kick

Stand in an upright fighting stance with the leading foot forward and the trailing foot behind to form a shoulder width  "L" shape.  The hands are raised in front of your face with the elbows tucked in. Raise the knee of your forward foot so that it points at your target, head high.  Your toes should be curled back.  Now snap a kick using the ball of the foot as a striking surface.  After the snap, your foot should return to its starting position, cocked against the leg, knee pointed at the target.  

Balance Kicks

Balance kicks are count kicks, like the Three Count Front Kick described above, that are performed one movement at a time with a long pause in between.  For example, the Three Count Front Kick would be performed as a Balance Kick over the course of a full minute.  On the command, "One," the kicking leg would be raised for the kick.  On the command, "Two," the kick would be snapped at full speed and recovered to the pre-kick position.  On the count of, "Three," the kicking leg would be set back on the ground in a fighting stance.  Typically Balance kicks are performed in sets of three or four kicks before switching legs.

One Step Counter Sparring

One step counters consist of an attack, a block and a counter attack.  The name derives from the fact that each of the attacks involves one offensive step forward.  The eight one step counters and their counter attacks are as follows:

  1. Attacker: front Punch. Defender: outer block, back punch.
  2. Attacker: back punch. Defender: outer block, back punch.
  3. Attacker: front leg front kick. Defender: low block, back punch.
  4. Attacker: back leg front kick. Defender: step back, low block, back punch.
  5. Attacker: front leg side kick. Defender:low block, back punch.
  6. Attacker: back leg side kick. Defender: step back, low block, back punch.
  7. Attacker: front leg round kick. Defender: high block, back punch.
  8. Attacker: back leg round kick. Defender: step back, high block, back punch.
Jayoo Form (Freedom)

Ready Position: Attention stance with open hand x-block . All directions assume that you are facing north.

  1. Step west, left chop block.
  2. Right back punch.
  3. Turn 180 degrees clockwise and step east, right chop block.
  4. Left back punch.
  5. Step back so your feet are together and your toes are pointing east, then step north with a left chop block.
  6. Right back punch.
  7. Step north with the right foot and right chop block.
  8. Left back punch.
  9. Left foot back leg front kick and step forward after.
  10. Left front punch.
  11. Right back punch and Kihap.
  12. Turn 270 degrees clockwise to face west with a right chop block.
  13. Left back punch.
  14. Turn 180 degrees to face east with a left chop block.
  15. Right back punch.
  16. Step back so your feet are together and your toes are pointing east, then step south with a right chop block.
  17. Left back punch.
  18. Left step south with a right chop block.
  19. Right back punch.
  20. Right  back leg front kick.
  21. Right front punch.
  22. Left back punch and Kihap.
  23. Turn west and step with the left leg and left chop block.
  24. Right back punch.
  25. Turn 180 degrees clockwise and step out with a right chop block.
  26. Left back punch and Kihap.
Self Defense Techniques 6 - 10
  1. Front Bear Hug. The attacker has wrapped their arms completely around you and is holding you tightly face to face. Perform a head strike with your forehead into the attacker's nose and/or mouth.  If you have difficulty reaching the attacker's face, you can gouge their shins with your feet, kick them in the knee, or bend your knees down as if you were fainting, then jump violently up at the attacker
  2. Headlock.  The attacker has you in a headlock and the two of you are bent over at the waist. Step behind the attacker with the leg that is closest to them.  Reach the had that is closest to the attacker up from behind and over the attacker's shoulder to grasp the attacker's chin.  Stand up quickly while pushing up and back on the attacker's chin.  This will force the attacker back against your leg and bring them down to the ground.  
  3. Rear Bear Hug.  The attacker has wrapped their arms completely around you and is holding you tightly from behind.  Bend your arms and raise both of your elbows up as high as you can.  This will raise the attacker's arms up on your chest and loosen their grip.  Now, drop your weight quickly down partially through the attacker's arms so that your arms are free and execute elbow strikes in the attacker's chest, stomach or groin. As soon as the attacker's grip loosens, stand up quickly, using the strength of your legs to execute a strike to the attackers chin or face with the back of your head.
  4. Arm-Bar Choke Hold.  The attacker has you in an arm-bar choke hold from behind.  Quickly turn your head and neck into the pocket of the attacker's elbow.  This will relieve the pressure on your neck and arteries so that you don't lose consciousness.  Now step towards the same elbow, throwing the attacker off balance while you execute elbow strikes against the attacker's ribs and stomach.
  5. Knife Attack.  If possible, run away screaming because there is no "good" defense against an attacker with a weapon.  If you are trapped, use a crescent kick to disarm or distract the attacker then run.

Want More?

CCBBA Karate Curriculum | Gold belt | Green belt | Purple belt | Blue belt | Red belt | 1st Degree Brown belt | 2nd Degree Brown belt | Black belt | Tae Kwon Do Terminology | Tae Kwon Do | Karate | Martial Arts

Acknowlegements:  Muchas Gracias to the steadfast and resolute Ms. T for her astute and insightful editorial assistance, also to the thaumaturgic dannye for explicating the intricacies of multi-volume noding.

 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.