a simple but yummy dessert dish, traditional to the Philippines and southeast asia in general. one of my very favourite desserts. this recipe makes a buttload. about 50 servings.
5 1/2 cups mochi rice
5 1/2 cups water
1 can (13 oz) coconut milk
1 lb dark brown sugar
Banana leaves (traditional, but not essential)
1 cup roasted shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine coconut milk and 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Wilt the banana leaves in the microwave. line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with them.
- Stir remaining brown sugar into the rice; mix well.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of the coconut milk mixture, stir remainder into rice. Put it into the pan lines with banana leaves.
- Pour the reserved 1/2 cup coconut milk mixture over the rice.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over the top of the rice.
- Broil for 5 minutes to brown top.
- Cool and cut into squares.