Found a recipe for meatballs online and it said I had to put the meatballs in the oven for 15 minutes first before batter-frying. And I thought, feh! The frying ought to work fine on its own!

Which was true, the recipe turned out quite well. The hardest part was getting the bison meat. I might have misheard a couple things, but I'd heard that if you want to hunt bison you have to dress up like a dog. So I put on my dog-shaped onesie and a dog mask and went out there with a net, and I walked up to a bison and it was like "What are you doing?" and I was like "Hunting you? If you could just step into this net here." And the bison was like "Oh no you dont", and it charged right at me, and I had to spring aside -- and the bison wound up going off a cliff that was right behind me. Which, I am told, is the really old-fashioned way to do it. But if it works, it works.

Anyway, here's what I remember of how I cooked the meatballs.

NOTE: Unless you have a proper fume hood over your stove, this recipe will spread a meaty odor through your house. Maybe open a window.

 

INGREDIENTS

1 lb ground bison

3 large eggs

1/4 cup breadcrumbs, or 1/4 cup of some manner of gluten-free dried crushed grain

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp oregano

1/2 cup flour (I use oat flour, not sure what difference it makes)

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup cold water

2 cups cooking oil

 

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine ground bison, 1 egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and oregano in bowl. Mix thoroughly until well-combined.

2. Roll meat mixture into balls 1 inch in diameter, and set aside.

3. In smaller bowl, combine remaining 2 eggs, flour and baking soda, mixing thoroughly to combine, until it is a thick batter. Then mix in 1/4 cup water until the batter is thinner and runnier.

4. Pour oil into large fry pan. Don't turn the heat on yet.

5. Now dip each meatball into batter, letting excess drip back into bowl, and place ball in fry pan. You want the ball decently covered but it doesn't have to be perfect, there's gonna be some bare spots if you're using your fingers.

6. There might not be enough batter left to dip the last few balls so you can just gently pour out the batter onto them.

7. When all balls are in fry pan, turn stove up to high. Cook uncovered for 6 minutes, then flip over and cook for 1 minute, at which point the balls ought to be cooked through. Maybe take one out and cut it open to check.

8. Remove from heat and transfer balls to paper-towel lined plate to cool and drain.

Tastes great, very filling.

 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.