A popular American convenience store chain, especially on the West Coast, similar to 7-Eleven and also popular in Japan, like the indigenous Lawson outlets.

In Japan, AM/PM stocks a wide range of foodstuffs, stationery, toiletries, video games, and provides public fax services and ATM access at many branches.

Often found close to Tokyo train stations, most trade 24 hours.

THANKS TO dragoon FOR SOME FACTUAL INFO IN THIS NODE.

AM/PM is also present in Costa Rica, where it is one of the country's main convenience store chains. Like many chains, it is mostly located in the capital, San Jose, as well as surrounding high-income suburban areas in Heredia, Alajuela and Cartago provinces.

For those familiar with the United States' iteration of AM/PM, the Costa Rican version has a variety of differences. One of the most noticeable is the selection of fresh pastries, including french bread, as well as things such as chocolate filled croissants. The selection of produce, while small, is also larger than it would be in a US convenience store, and much fresher. In fact, the major difference here is that the AM/PM is a small, but normal grocery store, rather than being a place strictly for snacks. With staples such as rice, beans, pasta, margarine and cheese, it is quite possible to live off of a normal, healthy (but somewhat boring) diet just by going to the AM/PM. It also has a good assortment of cleaning and home supplies. All of these things are pretty affordable, at least by the standards of Costa Rica. While in the United States, something like a bottle of ketchup at a convenience store might easily be a 100% markup over grocery store prices, here the difference seems pretty nominal. During my five months here, stopping by the AM/PM two blocks from my house has been an almost daily occurrence, and has made things much easier---even if the french bread does go stale in six hours.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.