MCA of the Beastie Boys died today, which made me realize that although in the most recent Star Trek movie, a young James T. Kirk plays their song Sabotage en route to driving his stepdad's car off a cliff, if Kirk had been listening not to Ill Communication, but to the Boys' next album Hello Nasty, he'd have come across Intergalactic -- with the lyric: "Your knees start shakin and your fingers pop Like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock." Which wouldn't have given Kirk pause at the time, because he'd never yet heard of Spock, but which might (wait for it) raise an eyebrow when that meeting did come about. Then again, as ubiquitous as time travel is in the world of Star Trek, he might simply shrug it off as a result of Spock having will have had been going to travel to the past to inspire the line in person.

On a completely unrelated matter, I was thinking today about how wasteful it is that Americans are going to throw away billions of dollars this year to back political candidates. Especially at the top of the ticket, where the difference between the candidates will doubtless slim to nothing as election day approaches, with both having long established beliefs in the power of bigger government to solve our every problem for us.... it'll all end up being a personality-driven tossup anyhow. The cash that people will hand over to those pols will be washed away. It instead could've been invested in building their companies, improving their communities, boosting markets by buying goods and labor for their own household improvements, or simply keeping that sucker-- er-- donor's pocket warmly filled. So it goes.

In auditing news:

Tem42 is still done. For that matter so are mauler and Glowing Fish, and a bunch more. Yeah. Done.
The Custodian -- on page 30 out of 40.... That's like, 90%, right? Right?
wertperch -- on page 1 out of 10 -- haven't gotten to this yet.
gnarl -- on page 1 out of 6 (this is still happening; this is going to happen)