I can’t sleep, and I just found out Roger Waters met Trent Reznor

Nine Inch Nails
Pink Floyd

It was titled “in the flesh” and I found it in this magazine called Revolver. The idea for the story was one of those things that I had never exactly thought of, but it seemed like I had. And there on page 56 it proclaimed:

THEY’VE CREATED SOME OF THE MOST PROFOUNDLY DEPRESSING MUSIC IN THE HISTORY OF ROCK, BUT ROGER WATERS AND TRENT REZNOR ARE JUST TICKLED PINK TO SHAKE HANDS
This guy who stole the idea I almost had, Alan di Perna, has the easiest story in the world. I think all he did was sit there with his tape recorder and ask 5 short questions. He does nothing and I picture him like a spoiled little kid whose dad owns a candy store. Fat cheeks. Fat little fingers. He’s giggling, but really I’m just pissed off I’m not Alan di Perna. Lucky bastard.

I think what I was really hoping for was a collaboration. But it’s not. It’s a 10 minute conversation. The Wall didn’t meet The Fragile, but that was my idea too. Reznor idolizes Waters and Waters admits to never actually hearing any of Reznor’s work.

Reznor does his usual whining about how The Fragile didn’t sell so well. He almost tries to make us all feel guilty for not buying 3 copies each. ”Thanks to you, my record company won’t pay for anything I want anymore, so now you’re not going to get any more NIN.” Coming soon: Trent Reznor and His Xylophone, Halo 19.

So I don’t know where this leaves me, this much potential with this little outcome. Maybe it makes me want to become a writer, and get paid to be the spoiled kid.

Today it’s obvious.

Amedeo Modigliani never sold any pictures. Van Gogh peddled his pictures for a bowl of soup.”