For anyone keen enough, here is a recipe for handmade pasta. If you wish, you can use any old flour, but protein is good, and it is even better when making pasta, so try to get a high protein (hard) flour or fine semolina to make this recipe.

It is probably best to try and use a pasta machine to roll this stuff out, I cook for a living and have never even attempted to try and use a rolling pin. If you are keen, pasta machines are not that expensive and the result is unbelievable. Not only do you get the warm satisfaction of making the product with your own hand, it tastes so much better.
OK, here we go.

Ingredients

  • 200 gm (6 1/2 oz) - 250 gm (8 1/2 oz) flour (Try continental flour, or fine semolina)
  • 2 free range eggs
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • Sea salt

    Method

    Place the flour on a kitchen bench, make a well in the centre and crack the eggs into the centre. Add the salt and oil, and using a fork, whisk together until the dough comes together. You may need more or less flour because not all eggs are the same size.

    Or you could do as I do, and throw the whole lot into a food processor. Just make sure that you let the dough rest for an hour or so, to let the gluten that you just pulverized to relax a bit and settle down (otherwise, tough pasta).

    If you have a pasta machine, then use the instructions that came with it, otherwise, follow the directions in Rolling out fresh pasta.

    The above quantity will yield roughly 2 entree (or first course) portions. A simple multiple is this; 1 egg in your dough equals one entree serve.

    Remember that fresh pasta not only tastes better, it only takes 2 -3 minutes to cook. Buon Gusto!