This is actually the title of a recent book by a guy who calls himself J. J. Luna--he's apparently some sort of consultant who helps people disappear. He apparently did some cloak-and-dagger stuff while living in Spain during the Franco regime (he was evading Franco's government).

The book talks about some simple things like never allow your real name to be associated with your home address, and talks about buying things in the name of trusts or LLCs, and having your mail delivered to ghost addresses. He also talks a little bit about computer security but is obviously not well-versed in such things.

It's a fun read, but I had a hard time taking it seriously. First of all, you get the distinct feeling he's not telling you the really good stuff, and it would be extremely difficult to have to live your life this way, he's quite paranoid about stalkers and government agents and private investigators (in fact, the book's really about how to avoid private investigators), and his ideas ultimately hinge on being able to unconditionally trust a few people to handle things like mail and your legal business. That's the critical flaw in his system--you need toadies. Contrast with the Evil Overlord stuff.

The one suggestion I liked was having your vehicle registered in the name of a trust or LLC so when the DMV sells their data other people don't have it.