The Greek Legend of Heracles - also known as Herakles(Roman Name: Hercules)

Heracles was born in Thebes to Queen Alcmene of Tiryns and Zeus (who took the guise of her husband Amphitryon). Heracles was conceived over three nights and upon his birth was his father's pride and joy. This resulted in Hera's hatred and jealousy of the young boy. Ironically, Heracles name means "Hera's Glory". At eight months old, Hera sent two snakes to kill him in his crib. The infant grabbed the snakes and strangled them to death.

After killing his music tutor with a lute, he was sent to tend cattle on a mountain by Amphitryon. Here, he was visited by two nymphs - Pleasure and Virtue - who offered him a choice between a pleasant and easy life or a severe but glorious life. He chose the latter.

One of Heracles challenges was put to him by King Thespius of Thespia who wished him to impregnate each of his 50 daughters. According to the legend, Heracles did this in one night, which I'm sure would've made his father proud.

Later in Thebes, Heracles married King Creon's daughter, Megara. However, Hera drove Heracles into a fit of madness during which he killed his wife and children. Upon realizing what he had done, he fled to the Oracle of Delphi. Unbeknownst to him, the Oracle was guided by Hera. He was directed to serve King Eurystheus for 12 years and perform any task which he required, thus resulting in the The Twelve Labours of Hercules.

After completing these tasks, Heracles joined the Argonauts in the search for The Golden Fleece, rescued heroines, conquered Troy, and helped the Gods' fight against the Gigantes. He also fell in love with Princess Iole of Oechalia. Heracles advances were spurned by the King and his sons, except for one - Iole's brother Iphitus. Iphitus became Heracles best friend. But once again, Hera drove Heracles mad and he threw Iphitus over the city wall to his death. Once again, Heracles purified himself through servitude - this time to Queen Omphale of Lydia.

Heracles later married Deianira. When travelling with her, he came to a river where the centaur Nessus made some money by carrying people across. Heracles decided to make his own way but entrusted his wife to the Centaur. However, Nessus attempted to rape Deianira and Hercles shot him with a poisoned arrow. Nessus, as he was dying, gave Deiranira his coat which he stated would stop Heracles from ever being unifaithful. He did not however mention, that as it was stained with his blood - it would poison whoever wore it.

Heracles later decided to elope with Princess Iole, and realizing he was not dressed for the occassion requested that his wife send him a coat. Deianira, who knew more about Heracles' relationship with Iole than he thought, decided to send Nessus' coat in order to keep him faithful. However, when Heracles put on the coat it burned his skin, and he was unable to remove it. Heracles begged Zeus to save him, but his calls went unanswered. He eventually ordered his attendents to light fire to him in order to put him out of his misery. Upon hearing this, Zeus decided that his son's brave deeds had made him worthy of Immortality. Zeus brought him to Mt. Olympus and made Heracles a God.