This is a meta-node
listing all of the full-length animated films produced by Disney
As of this writing, The Walt Disney Company has released a total of 51 animated feature films which they consider to be their "classics". Disney had closed its feature animation department to focus on in-house computer animation efforts; the first product of that new focus was the 45th (now 46th) Disney Animated Feature, Chicken Little. With the appointment of Pixar honcho John Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer, however, traditional animation will again be used, starting with The Princess and the Frog.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 1937.
- Pinocchio, 1940.
- Fantasia, 1940. Followed by 38, Fantasia 2000.
- Dumbo, 1941.
- Bambi, 1942.
- Saludos Amigos, 1943. Followed (in a way) by 7.
- The Three Caballeros, 1945. Follows (in a way) 6.
- Make Mine Music, 1946.
- Fun and Fancy Free, 1947.
- Melody Time, 1948.
- The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, 1949.
- Cinderella, 1950.
- Alice in Wonderland, 1951.
- Peter Pan, 1953. Followed by Return to Never Land.
- Lady and the Tramp, 1955.
- Sleeping Beauty, 1959.
- 101 Dalmatians, 1961.
- The Sword in the Stone, 1963.
- The Jungle Book, 1967. Followed by The Jungle Book 2.
- The Aristocats, 1970.
- Robin Hood, 1973.
- The Many Adventures of Winnie-The-Pooh, 1977. Followed (in a way) by 51.
- The Rescuers, 1977. Followed by 29, The Rescuers Down Under.
- The Fox and the Hound, 1981.
- The Black Cauldron, 1985.
- The Great Mouse Detective, 1986.
- Oliver and Company, 1988.
- The Little Mermaid, 1989.
- The Rescuers Down Under, 1990. Follows 23.
- Beauty and the Beast, 1991.
- Aladdin, 1992.
- The Lion King, 1994.
- Pocahontas, 1995.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame, 1996.
- Hercules, 1997.
- Mulan, 1998.
- Tarzan, 1999.
- Fantasia 2000, 2000. Follows 3.
- Dinosaur, 2000. (computer-animated)
- The Emperor's New Groove, 2000.
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire, 2001.
- Lilo & Stitch, 2002.
- Treasure Planet, 2002.
- Brother Bear, 2003.
- Home on the Range, 2004.
- Chicken Little, 2005. (computer-animated)
- Meet the Robinsons, 2007. (computer-animated)
- Bolt, 2008. (computer-animated)
- The Princess and the Frog, 2009.
- Tangled, 2010. (computer-animated)
- Winnie the Pooh, 2011. Follows (in a way) 22.
- Wreck-It Ralph, 2012.
- Frozen, 2013.
Dinosaur (2000) was once the odd film out. Like Chicken Little and subsequent films, it is a computer-animated film created entirely by Disney, not by Pixar. However, when it was first released, Disney did not count it among its Animated Features. Now, though, with the inclusion of other computer animated films in the canon, it seems to have been given a spot on that list.
In addition to these, Disney has produced (and helped create) the following Pixar computer-animated features. Disney acquired Pixar in 2006; "Cars" was the first film released after the acquisition, but it was largely completed prior to it. These films are still publicized as "Disney/Pixar" films and not counted among Disney's classic animated features.
- Toy Story, 1995.
- A Bug's Life, 1998.
- Toy Story 2, 1999.
- Monsters, Inc., 2001.
- Finding Nemo, 2003.
- The Incredibles, 2004.
- Cars, 2006.
- Ratatouille, 2007.
- WALL-E, 2008.
- Up, 2009.
- Toy Story 3, 2010.
- Cars 2, 2011.
- Brave, 2012.
- Monsters University, 2013.
Next we have three stop-motion features, which were co-created by Disney and Tim Burton:
- The Nightmare Before Christmas, 1993.
- James and the Giant Peach, 1996.
- Frankenweenie, 2012.
Note that Nightmare
was actually produced by the Touchstone Pictures
division of Disney
; it's the only film in this writeup
not released by the Walt Disney Pictures
Finally, there are several theatrically-released full-length animated features that Disney does not include on the official list. This is because they were created by Disney's television animation division. The films in this category include:
- DuckTales: The Movie - Treasure of the Lost Lamp, 1990.
- A Goofy Movie, 1995.
- The Tigger Movie, 2000.
- Return to Never Land, 2002. Follows Peter Pan.
- The Jungle Book 2, 2003. Follows The Jungle Book.
- Piglet's Big Movie, 2003.
- Pooh's Heffalump Movie, 2005.
- Bambi II, 2006.
- Secret of the Wings (limited), 2012.
Of course, Disney has created countless
s, but those are beyond the scope
of this node
. Also not included here are numerous direct-to-video
films that are usually sequel
s to films listed above and are usually created by the television animation division.
Information for the Disney Animated Features series of nodes comes from the IMDb (www.imdb.com), Frank's Disney Page (http://www.fpx.de/fp/Disney/), and the dark recesses of my own memory.
Last Updated: 8 April 2013