What an interesting day....

For a week now, I've been suffering from a debilitating bout of sinusitis, which has deprived me of sleep, peace of mind, vigour, etc.

You know, all those things that come with the territory of being in excruciating pain all the time.

I have a high pain threshold, so it hasn't caused me to alter my routines that much. A few non-prescription painkillers (paracetamol), some nasal spray and saline irrigation, and I've been pretty much fit to go on as usual. Which means going on with work, taking the kids to day care, study, etc.

However, I finally decided that it wasn't supposed to go on hurting for more than a week, so I went to see a doctor this morning. My usual GP, a singularly stolid and phlegmatic gentleman, is on holiday - so I went to see his alternate, who turned out to be even more even-tempered, to the point of lethargia.

I filled him in on my problem and the good doctor ruminated on it - then decided to take a blood sample and test its bacterial count.

It came as something of a surprise to me when this very imperturbable gentleman looked at the results wide-eyed, then said:

"Whoa! Oh my. That's pretty high. Guess we'd better put you on antibiotics right away."

Needless to say, this left me somewhat concerned - and rightly so, since apparently I'd been in the process of developing blood poisoning. Fortunately, I'd timed my visit to the doctor with exquisite precision. Now, some time after having begun the course of antibiotics, I am feeling far less miserable. My head still hurts abominably, and it still feels like somebody has inserted a six-inch nail in my right cheekbone. But I can tell that I am definitely on the mend...

Timing is everything.