See Naming operations by sjoshi64
So deep is the fierce thirst to lay
This ancient country waste
Which once gave laws to all of humankind,
That you are wholly blind
And don't see how your quarrels pave the way
For enemies who press you thick and fast.
--Nicolo Macchiavelli, Hymn of the Blessed Spirits
Noders have been writing about a second war with Iraq since at least February 11, 2001, when mrichich posted a humorous but prophetic writeup entitled The Gulf War II betting pool.
This metanode presents links to writeups about the threatened war on Iraq, and related topics, posted during the year 2003.
For writings posted prior to 2003, see War on Iraq 2002. For writings on the 1991 war, see Gulf War.
As events unfold, I will try to present contemporaneous writings together. If I miss anything, please drop me a /msg.
Current Debate (January 1, 2003 to the present)
- The United States should go to war with Iraq by pelsmith
- The United States should not go to war with Iraq by fhayashi/NotFabio/blessedangel/Kalkin
- The United States should go to war with everyone by sekicho
- The United States is already at war with Iraq by e-hadj
- Who would Jesus bomb? by Transitional_Man
- Oil and Gulf War II by mod/e-hadj/nyte/decimetre
- War in Iraq, pacifism, and the real world by Dreamvirus/sekicho
- fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity by DejaMorgana/SigmaVirus
- February 22, 2003 by rk2001
(noting the escalation of violence by the Israeli Defense Forces while the world's attention is drawn to Iraq)
- March 15, 2003 by TheDeadGuy and Noung
(Noders raise some of the broader issues of international law and the conduct of civilized nations)
- Red alert = martial law by althorrat/DejaMorgana
- March 18, 2003 by bishopred1
(reflections regarding fear of reprisals)
- March 20, 2003, March 21, 2003 and March 22, 2003 by many noders
(War begins: noders react)
- The Pot and Kettle War by tiefling
- March 26, 2003 by Transitional_Man
(tactics of Iraqi irregular/guerilla forces and applicable international conventions)
- Expecting other peoples' children to make the sacrifice by Scoresby
- March 27, 2003 by TheDeadGuy
ponders: What happens after the war?
- March 28, 2003 by Gamaliel
Reporting the contribution of monkeys to Coalition forces.
- March 28, 2003 by The_Custodian (a/k/a "Phantom Analyst")
Today's battlefield disposition, activity and prognosis.
- Who benefits from rebuilding Iraq? by Stedic
- March 31, 2003 by el-hadj
(subtitled: Not Enough Debate? Spam goes to war.)
- Pax Americana by HerMan
- April 9, 2003and April 10, 2003 by several noders
Baghdad falls and crowds celebrate by pulling down images of Saddam Hussein and striking them with shoes. Some noders gloat.
- Attack Syria! by HongPong
- Not in Our Name by Minority Report
A premature victory dance, as the war drags on.
- President George W. Bush's address to the nation: September 07, 2003: document by Nero and commentary by eliserh
- Open Post-Scriptum to Open Letter to Saddam Hussein by K9
- George W. Bush's address to the UN General Assembly: September 23, 2003 by kto9
- October 31, 2003 by e-hadj
A much needed update.
- So They Caught Saddam Hussein by j2
- So They Caught George W. Bush by gogoyubari
- So They Caught Santa Claus by drownzsurf
- The US failure in obtaining international support for regime change in Iraq by asmadeus
Facts and History
- A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm by HongPong
- U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441 by Noung
- George W. Bush's 2003 State of the Union Address (annotated) by mblase
- Hans Blix's report to the U.N. Security Council on February 14, 2003 by GrouchyOldMan
- Hans Blix's report to the U.N. Security Council on February 28, 2003 by GrouchyOldMan
- Draft U.N. Security Council Resolution February 24, 2003 by GrouchyOldMan
- Declaration on Iraq by Russia, Germany and France by GrouchyOldMan
- Letter of resignation of U.S. Diplomat John Brady Kiesling by Scoresby
- George W Bush's Iraq Press Conference, March 6, 2003 by gray mocker
- War in Iraq: John Howard's address to Australia by semprini
- President George W. Bush's address concerning Iraq, March 17, 2003 by Nero/sekicho
- Robin Cook's Resignation Speech by amnesiac
- George W. Bush's address, the War on Iraq has begun - March 19, 2003 by Lennon
- Saddam Hussein's response to the United States attack, March 20, 2003 by BrooksMarlin
- Letter of resignation of U.S. Diplomat Ann Wright by avalyn
- Supplemental Budget Request for the Iraq War by borgo
- President Bush's address on Iraq, Florida on March 26, 2003 by GrouchyOldMan
- Tim Robbins' address to the National Press Club, April 15, 2003 by Jet-Poop
- President George W. Bush' speech aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, May 1, 2003 by Nero
- American Football (a Reflection upon the Gulf War) by DrT
- U.N. Security Council Resolution 1483 by GrouchyOldMan
- U.N. Security Council Resolution 1500 by Nero
- President George W. Bush's address to the nation: September 07, 2003 by Nero
- President George W. Bush Addresses Nation on the Capture of Saddam Hussein, December 14, 2003 by Nero
Nodeshells, remarks, and memes