"A little chimney is soon fired: so was the Plymouth Captain, a man of very small stature, yet of a very hot and angry temper."

"The Hero of New England."

In Lancashire, England, in about the Year of Our Lord 1584, Miles Standish was born.

An English soldier by profession, Miles was serving in the Netherlands when John Robinson and his flock of Pilgrims were driven to Holland. Though he was probably not a Puritan himself, he joined with the wayward Puritans and made the arduous voyage to the New World.

When the Mayflower anchored in Cape Cod Bay, it was thought best to explore the bleak shore in search of a landing place. Among those to volunteer to scout, Miles was one of the first. He and the rest of the party spent their first Christian Sabbath in America in deep snow, on a barren island in Plymouth Harbor. Also, he was the second white man to set foot on Plymouth Rock.

Standish was very functional to the English when the Indians proved to be inhospitable. His nation relied much on his skills and bravery to protect the Plymouth colony. Wherever his duties called him, there he could be found. Two years after the establishment of Plymouth by the Pilgrims, he was called upon to protect an upstart colony by the name of Wissagusset (later to be known as Weymouth). This colonial town had aggravated the native inhabitants by constant begging and stealing. The population of Wissagusset was primarily people sent from London by a wealthy merchant, and were unfit for founding and forming a stable state.

Though the Indians had decided to destroy the colony, a friend of the English empire, Massasoit, spread word of impending doom in time for Miles Standish and a small company to march to Wissagusset to avert the attack. After English forces reached their destination, Miles' temper was kindled by the disrespect of Pecksuot, the chief of the angered tribe, during a parley. During this, Pecksuot sharpened his knife in front of Standish and said to him:

"Though you are a great captain, you are but a little man; and though I be no sachem, I am a man of great strength and courage."

While Standish was at that time able curb his rage, such the case would not be the order of the following day. When the tribal and colonial leaders were in a room with many of their men, Captain Standish gave a signal and five natives were slain. Miles took the knife Pecksuot had been sharpening the previous day and killed its owner. When Mr. Robinson heard of this atrocity, he wrote to the Church of Plymouth, urging the people to forbear following the Captain because of his short fuse.

In 1631, after the ordeal, Miles Standish settled Duxbury, Massachusetts. During the years of 1644-49, he served as treasurer of the colony, and held several posts during and afterward. For most of his residence in Duxbury, he also served as assistant magistrate.

Captain Miles Standish merged with the infinite in AD 1656, in his home in Duxbury. To this day, an area near his former residence is called Captain's Hill.