The X-files

Colony (Part 1 of 2)
Episode: 2X16
First aired:02/10/95
Written by: Chris Carter and David Duchovny
Directed by: Nick Marck

One of the most famous episodes, and one of my favorites.

We see Mulder being rushed into an emergency room ruffering fro extreme hypothermia. We hear Mulder in a voice over he tells us that he has proven that there are extraterrestrials, that they're amoung us. Scully rushes in the hospital and demands to see Mulder. The doctors have him in a warm tub and Scully tells them to get him out. As she does this, Mulder's heart line flattens..... Two weeks ago:
In the Artic Circle, a research vessel rescues a Russian pilot who has crashed.

At an abortion clinic, a doctor gets scared at the news of the Russian pilot (he sees the face). He runs into the hallway and is stopped by the pilot. The pilot kills the doctor with a gimlet, a small metalic tube that contains a sharp, deadly point. The doctor dies as green blood oozes from the wound.

Mulder has been sent three obituaries, which he shows Scully. These are of the doctor who died, and two others who also worked in abortion clinics. They are identical in every respect but there is no record of blood connection or the births of any of them and that none of the bodies were found.

The federal marshal has arrested Reverand Sistrunk who would have the motive to kill abortion doctors, but Mulder and Scully don't think he did it.

They realize that the killer is following a geographic pattern and locates another doctor in Syracuse. Mulder sends an agent to check it out. The agent sees the pilot kill the doctor. He shots the pilot, but green blood starts to ooze out and the agent falls down as if poisened. Mulder and Scully reach the house and are met by 'the agent'. As they walk around the house to take a look, the agent goes to his car and morphs into the pilot, now known as the Alien Bounty Hunter. We see the body of the real agent in the trunk. When they return to Washington, Mulder and Scully are shocked to learn that the agent was found dead in Syracuse.

Scully tells Mulder that she recieved an email showing another doctor that lives in Washington D.C. When he reaches Scully's apartment, there is a man waiting outside. This man, Abrose Chapel, a CIA agent tells them that the doctors are Soviet clones known as Gregor, and that they are being killed under a secret agreement.

Mulder, Scully, and Chapel go to see the doctor in Washington. They try to get him to let them in his apartment but the doctor runs away and jumps out the window, about 6 stories up. Scully calls the paramedics, but amazingly the doctor gets up and starts to run again. Mulder and Chapel follow, closely followed by Scully. Running accross a street, Mulder is hit by a car but Scully continues the chase. She finds Chapel who tells her that the doctor escaped. She looks to where he points and notices a green goo under her feet.

Scully is uncertain about Chapel and warns Mulder not to trust him. She shows Mulder her shoe, which now has a clear whole in it from what she stepped on. She says she got the shoes a couple of weeks ago.

Scully does an autopsy of the agent killed in Syracuse since the cause of death can not be determined. Mulder is called into Skinner's office. Skinner tells him that Mulder's familiy has been trying to reach him, that there is a family emergency.

Scully, with a clue, finds a warehouse full of weird looking green bags, with something alive in them. She sees Chapel, now seen as the bounty hunter, in the main room stepping on these bags. He sees her Scully drives away just in time.

Mulder reaches home and sees his mom talking to a young woman. His dad tells him that it is his sister, Samantha. Samantha tells Mulder that after she was abducted,s he was adopted by a family and that she did not recal anything from before. She says she needs his help, that her parents are aliens and the bounty hunter has come to kill them. And she is in danger because she knows how to kill the bounty hunter, that she can recognize him, even though he can take different forms.

Scully finds the rest of the Gregor clones and places them in protective custody. The bounty hunter, however, kiills them when he posses as a gaurd. Mulder, realizing that Scully could be in danger, rushes to D.C with Samantha.

Scully, thinking she is in danger, rents a motel room and tells Mulder (on his machine) where she is. At night, Scully is in her room. Mulder knocks on the door and she lets him in. Just as they start to talk, she gets a phone call on her cellular...it's Mulder on the line. She looks at the Mulder standing in the doorway....

To be continued...


Important Quotes:
Mulder (overvoice) -- "I have lived with a fragile faith built on the ether of vague memories from an experience that I can neither prove nor explain. When I was twelve, my sister was taken from me, taken from our home by a force that I came to believe was extraterrestrial. This belief sustained me, fueling a quest for truths that were as elusive as the memory itself. To believe as passionately as I did was not without sacrifice, but I always accepted the risks... to my career, my reputation, my relationships... to life itself... What happened to me out on the ice has justified every belief. If I should die now, it would be with the certainty that my faith has been righteous. And if, through death, larger mysteries are revealed, I will have already learned the answer to the question that has driven me here... that there is intelligent life in the universe other than our own... that they are here among us... and that they have begun to colonize."

Scully -- "I''ve got a bad feeling about this case, Mulder."
Mulder -- "What do you mean?"
Scully -- "Well, nothing about it makes sense. We've got three deaths of identical victims, no bodies, a virtual non-suspect..."
Mulder -- "Sounds just like an X-File."

Scully -- "How are you feeling?"
Mulder -- "Like I should've used the crosswalk. A lot better than my phone."

Scully -- "Our friend from the C.I.A. is about as unbelievable as his story... as is everything about this case. I mean, whatever happened to "trust no one," Mulder?"
Mulder -- "Oh, I changed it to "trust everyone." I didn't tell you?"

Scully -- "You'll pursue a case at the expense of everything, to the point of insanity, and expect me to follow you. There has to be somewhere to draw the line."
Mulder -- "Three identical men are dead. A fourth identical man is alive and on the lam. If the pursuit of this case seems like insanity to you, feel free to step away from it."
Scully -- "An F.B.I. agent died because of our pursuit of this case."
Mulder -- "Those are the risks we take. You either accept them or you don't. We all draw our own lines."

Samantha -- "Is it too late for a game of Stratego?"
Mulder -- "It's twenty-two years too late."


Back to The X-files: Season 2
(GUNTAI) Misato Katsuragi said that, viewed from the Instrumentality Project, humankind is "a colony of flawed and separate entities". Colony means a group of individual organisms linked to each other, with new individual organisms produced by splitting or budding. Each individual organism within the colony has the capability to live independently.

Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

Col"o*ny (?), n.; pl. Colonies (#). [L. colonia, fr. colonus farmer, fr. colere to cultivate, dwell: cf. F. colonie. Cf. Culture.]

1.

A company of people transplanted from their mother country to a remote province or country, and remaining subject to the jurisdiction of the parent state; as, the British colonies in America.

The first settlers of New England were the best of Englishmen, well educated, devout Christians, and zealous lovers of liberty. There was never a colony formed of better materials.
Ames.

2.

The district or country colonized; a settlement.

3.

A company of persons from the same country sojourning in a foreign city or land; as, the American colony in Paris.

4. (Nat. Hist.)

A number of animals or plants living or growing together, beyond their usual range.

 

© Webster 1913


Col"o*ny, n.

1. (Bot.)

A cell family or group of common origin, mostly of unicellular organisms, esp. among the lower algæ. They may adhere in chains or groups, or be held together by a gelatinous envelope.

2. (Zoöl.)

A cluster or aggregation of zooids of any compound animal, as in the corals, hydroids, certain tunicates, etc.

3. (Zoöl.)

A community of social insects, as ants, bees, etc.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.