One who makes skins or skinz, a graphical overlay for program "windows". The artists who make them are called skinners or skinnerz (skinner for singular). A few of the programs that makes use of skins are Windowblinds, eFX, Illumination, winamp and icqPLUS.

A good webpage for aquiring skinz is www.skinz.org. People who makes skinz hang out on irc.deskmod.com in various skin channels

Origins of the Skinner Name
Skinner, an English occupative surname, derived from the occupation of "skinner," meaning simply, a dealer in skins, furs, and hides.

England holds a great many similar trade and business names such as Butcher, Baker, Chandler, Merchant, Brewer, etc., and the name Skinner was probably adopted by its original bearer at the time of the adoption of surnames in England, around the Thirteenth Century or thereafter.

It can be found in ancient records under the spellings of Sckynner, Skiner, Skyner, Skyniar, Skynnar, Skynner, Skynnere aswell as Skinner, the later being the accepted form of present.

From the Middle English "skynnere" and the Old Norman "skinnari," the title of skinner was used to identify one who treated animal skins in a tanyard.

In the ancient English records, the name is often Latinized to Pelliparius.

Skinner's Scottish Connection
Skinner is a known alias of clan (Mc)Gregor, and - in several historical records - they have been said to be one and the same. This is a strong bond which many Scottish clans do not share with their English relations.

Clan McGregor, like the majority of Scottish clans, were huge cattle traders. In Perthshire and the surrounding highlands skinning was a definite occupation of the Clan. During the Scottish persecution of the name McGregor in 1603, many changed their surnames (if they even used one) to whatever suited their needs and occupational skills, thus thwarting further conflicts from bounty hunters and such. Thus, many chose Skinner, or variants of the name.

Many Scots also took their name from great acts or incedences. The name may have derived from the Scottish, Sgain Dhu - a small knife, worn at the top of a Scotsman's long socks. This knife would typically kept as a form of protection, and it is possible that a clansman who used this knife in order to protect a royal, or to kill a famous enemy could have taken the title, "Jimmy (Stereotypical name) of the Sgain Dhu." Sgain Dhu is pronouced as it appears, and sounds similar to Skinner.

Skin"ner (?), n.

1.

One who skins.

2.

One who deals in skins, pelts, or hides.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.