Ti"tle (?), n. [OF. title, F. titre, L. titulus an inscription, label, title, sign, token. Cf. Tilde, Titrate, Titular.]

1.

An inscription put over or upon anything as a name by which it is known.

2.

The inscription in the beginning of a book, usually containing the subject of the work, the author's and publisher's names, the date, etc.

3. Bookbindng

The panel for the name, between the bands of the back of a book.

4.

A section or division of a subject, as of a law, a book, specif. Roman & CanonLaws, a chapter or division of a law book.

5.

An appellation of dignity, distinction, or preeminence (hereditary or acquired), given to persons, as duke marquis, honorable, esquire, etc.

With his former title greet Macbeth. Shak.

6.

A name; an appellation; a designation.

7. Law (a)

That which constitutes a just cause of exclusive possession; that which is the foundation of ownership of property, real or personal; a right; as, a good title to an estate, or an imperfect title.

(b)

The instrument which is evidence of a right.

(c) CanonLaw

That by which a beneficiary holds a benefice.

8. Anc. Church Records

A church to which a priest was ordained, and where he was to reside.

Title deeds Law, the muniments or evidences of ownership; as, the title deeds to an estate.

Syn. -- Epithet; name; appellation; denomination. See epithet, and Name.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ti"tle (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Titled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Titling (?).] [Cf. L. titulare, F. titrer. See Title, n.]

To call by a title; to name; to entitle.

Hadrian, having quieted the island, took it for honor to be titled on his coin, "The Restorer of Britain." Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.