As long as you come in not expecting a welcome, e2 is not entirely "unfriendly". As long as you approach it in the same manner you'd go to, oh, a slightly classy club you'd heard of. A place that wasn't just any old joint but a certain type of people with a certain type of interest gathered there, and some had been gathering there for forever. And you're just sticking your head in out of curiosity.

in a setting such as this, the intelligent thing is *not* to scream to be heard and demand instantly that you become the center of attention because you are god's gift to mankind. it's fine and good to wander in, have a drink, see what it's all about and just kind of watch the people mill about a while. you have the basic right to be there and *watch* at least, and perhaps later on mill about yourself, beginning to mingle with those who'll let you. (yes, there *will* be hardheads who give the "i remember when..."'s and will refuse to take you seriously till you've proven yourself. such is humanity. but more than likely, unless you're a little prick about being ignored and treated poorly, there will be some who'll be happy to talk to you as you wander by.

on the same line of logic, you walk into a club like this, you don't go up to the person nearest you and start telling them the intimate details of how you're in this bizarre situation where you're about to lose your lease and your job and your dog has measles and everything else. they won't really want to hear it. and again, in a "classier" place like that, you probably shouldn't go up to people and start telling them intimate stories about your sex life, or how distraught you are your lover of three decades is leaving you. sure, if the conversation *goes* there it's quite alright. but you very rarely *start* it there, or you shouldn't. it's safer to start talking "fact", about the weather or the local sports team, or some current event, or even what you're drinking if it's unusual and someone asks about it.

and again, in such a place. if you wander in and stay, fine. if you wander out and never come back... *shrugs* there's enough people through there, and enough people who are established and staying, the 'loss' of one more new face is more the norm than the exception. it's barely noticed at all.

as long as you don't dare presume E2 owes you anything, as long as you sit and try to grok it, as long as you treat it and its people properly, it's not hostile. may take a while to warm up to you and your writings. but if you behave decently and contribute usefully, it's not out to get you.