Old Southern Slang

Keep in mind this is merely an observation, many of the terms used within are considered racist. Well, I’m sorry if you’re offended, but this is the way things were from the period these came from.

I recently moved onto my grandparents former house, and after finding their diaries I’ve gathered a collection of old southern slang. Most of it, I’ve heard from many of the older gentlemen in my community. A lot of these I heard my grandfather say, he meant no harm, that’s just how he grew up, so I’ve decided to node them here, so you other people can see some of the weird shit that southerners say. These are in no particular order.

  • Sweatin’ like a whore in church – This exclamation refers to being uncomfortable and sweaty.
  • Useless as tits on a boar – Not sure the exact meaning, but it is a derogatory thing to say to someone
  • Jesus H. Christ on a Popsicle stick – This extremely uncommon phrase is used as a comment of extreme exclamation, and is very rarely accepted by the person it is directed toward.
  • Fine as a frogs hair split 4 ways – Usually a response to the question: How are you?
  • Nigger Shooter – This is in reference to a SlingShot, I have no idea how it started.
  • Tough as nails and twice as sharp – A complimentary term of respect for someone.
  • Preaching to the choir – Repeating yourself to someone who’s heard it all before.
  • There’s a nigger in the woodpile somewhere. – This is usually used to describe a the fact that there is a known problem, but no one knows what the problem is. or refering to the possible existence fo alternate races in a persons family tree. Thank you Dannye!
  • Quick as snoose through a goose. – Apparently chewing tobacco gives a duck the runs… but… who would know shit like that?
  • Dingle – apparently this refers to a penis?
  • Dumb as a load of bricks – This one explains itself I think, if you don’t understand it then this may be your problem.

Now keep in mind I’m not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings, this is just some interesting shit I’ve picked up during my lifetime, all of which has been spent in East Texas.
If you know more please add it...