Hooks like The Smiths, trance-outs like the Cocteau Twins, where could the Sundays go wrong? Well, it can't be said, but unlike all the critics said, the band never became a mainstream explosion.

The Sundays formed in the summer of 1987 (the summer of self-love?) in London, England. Originally, the group consisted of vocalist Harriet Wheeler, who had previously sung with a band called Jim Jiminee, and guitarist David Gavurin. They stuck together, wrote a few tunes, and then finally, got themselves a rhythym section. Maybe through a want-ad. They were/are Paul Brindley and Patrick Hannan. After a year, of recording, writing, and god knows what else, they made their debut Reading, Writing, Arithmetic. Its single, "That's Where The Story Ends" launched it to number 39 on the Billboard charts (which are obvious notes of artistic quality). They did a world tour in 1990.

During 1991, Rough Trade's books pulled a Farenheit 451. Thus, the Sundays signed to Parlophone Records to record their album, Blind. Label switch and all, it still took a while, finally getting release in 1992. While it did nicely, saleswise, it didn't have the stayin' powah of their debut. Another world tour followed in 1993.

In 1997, they released Static and Silence. Its single, "Summertime" received intermittent MTV airplay, and constant radio rotation in Little Rock, at the least.

(adapted from allmusic.com, the lazy man's heaven)