The old proverb that all good Americans go to Paris to die is really just a rather morbid way of acknowledging that it is the ultimate--though with any luck not that ultimate--city. In Paris more than in any other city in the world, with the possible exception of New York, myth and reality interweave to create a heady sensation of excitement and déjà vu, where the familiar Paris of the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre is temporarily forgotten by the visitor's sudden and often surprising discovery of another, private Paris. Whether it is found in a seemingly forgotten cul-de-sac in an off-the-beaten-track corner of the 14th arrondissement, or in an ancient shop on the slope of Montmartre selling antique clocks, this is the real Paris of which memories are made.
Forbes.com

History

Somewhere in the third century BC, Paris started off on the current Ile de la Cité (an island in the river Seine) as dwelling of the Gaul tribe called Pariisi. The colonising Romans named the township Lutetia Parisiorum, which meant “the Pariisi’s village in the mud”. It was often abbreviated Lutetia, staying relatively unimportant in the period before Christ, especially compared to big brothers Nîmes and Avignon.

Paris became capital of the north western part of the Roman Empire in the third century AD, which caused the city to grow in size and significance. Many Roman leftovers from this period are to be found in Quartier Latin. (This obviously means Latin District, but it was not named after this era: it later became the University centre and therefore contained many Latin speaking students). During the decline of the Roman Empire, 700,000 barbarians under Atilla the Hun threatened to take the city in 451. A young girl named Genevieve convinced the Parisians not to flee but to pray all together to save Paris. When the barbarians indeed passed by without entering the city, Genevieve became Paris’ patron saint.

After the powerful Franks, the Vikings sent a fleet of 700 ships with 30,000 warriors to Paris in 885. Still, the Parisians managed to defend their city. A city wall was built in 1200, with the Louvre castle being the closing part. This citadel had to guard the weakest spot in the city defence, also the location were the Vikings had focused their beleaguering. It was also in this period that the islands in the Seine started to get very crowded, so people moved to the riverside. The narrow streets (for example near the Notre Dame) on the islands are a clear witness of this early epoch. Paris became an important centre of philosophy and theology when the oldest university, Sorbonne (named after priest Robert de Sorbon), was founded in 1253.

From 1370 to 1382, King Charles V let build a fortress called the Bastille to live safely from possible rioters. The Bastille was hated thoroughly, partly because Charles V ordered to arrest random men in the street to have them carry stones for the bastion. Consequently it was a quite simple effort to destruct the hated symbol of royal oppression in 1789.

Under 17th century Louis XIV the castle of Versailles became the royal palace. In this epoch the glamorous Jardin du Luxembourg, several city gates and – for the many wounded soldiers – the Hôtel des Invalides. The Parisian thinkers of the century thereafter (Montesquieu, Voltaire, Jean-Jacques Rousseau) fed the French Revolution of 1789. The vacuum after the terror of Maximilien Robespierre was taken by Napoléon Bonaparte, who enriched Paris with the Arc de Triomphe and the Colon of captured cannons on Place Vendôme. His grave can be found in the Dôme des Invalides, while many subway stations carry the name of his famous victorious battles (Austerlitz, Jena, Friedland, Wagram). The people of Paris stayed very rebellious in these centuries. The broad avenues of Paris were especially set up to enable the army to arrive quickly at the possible scenes of uproar.

The major role of Paris in World War I was that of providing the location for signing the peace treaty. The settlements were made at Versailles. In the meantime the subway was founded and the city became a centre of bohemian artists. The pro-German (and anti-Semite) position of the Pétain government caused Paris to remain unharmed in World War II, even though Adolf Hitler ordered to destroy all art treasures in the capital after the Allied Forces had landed in Normandy.

The influence of some celebrated French presidents is still very much visible in Paris. Charles de Gaulle ordered to build a new airport, while Georges Pompidou marked his name through the distinctive Centre d’Art et de Culture Georges Pompidou. Post-war Paris was also characterised by the blossoming of existentialism (Jean-Paul Sartre) and the student revolts of 1968 (Daniel Cohn Bendit)

Monuments

As can be witnessed above in the French capital’s rich history, Paris is full of exciting buildings of bygone times. The following is an overview of the principal monuments in the city.

Other interesting facts

The song

Elton John included a song called Paris on his album Leather Jacket in 1986. Songwriter Bernie Taupin took care of the lyrics. Although the song is not among my favourites, the second couplet leaves a mark of the romantic side of Paris.

Nobody left in the airport lounge
They cleaned the ashtrays
TV's just wound down
I've got to wait till morning
I've got to last the night
I've only got one book
To see me through my flight

But when I get to Paris
We'll paint all our portraits
In brush-strokes of yellow
And christen the canvas
The left bank is crying
For colour to crown it
Like the roof of a palace
We'll drink in the amber
When I get to Paris

You were the best of Montmartre Street life
You signed the tablecloth
Art has its price
It's so hard to hold on
To the ghost of your breed
It takes ambition
To call the colours you need

I've got to wait till morning
I've got to last the night
I've only got one book
To see me through the flight