Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episode Guide

Season 5, Episode 8

Shadow

Original Air Date: November 11, 2000


Joyce, Buffy's mom, is in the hospital for a CAT scan. Meanwhile, at the Magic Shop, Willow and Xander gripe that Riley took off on his own the previous night to go after a nest of vampires instead of waiting for them to come help. Giles suggests that they continue researching Buffy's mysterious enemy. Xander is sure that this opponent must be hiding in some sewer or crypt, just like all the other nasties in Sunnydale.

But the next scene shows the blonde enemy in a posh apartment. We discover that her name is Glory, and she is trying to collect magical items for a spell.

Riley surprises Spike at Buffy's house, where Spike was busy sniffing one of Buffy's sweaters. Spike and Riley snipe at each other for a while, and then Spike asks Riley why he isn't at the hospital with Buffy. Riley seems upset that Buffy didn't tell him where she was going, and goes to the hospital to offer moral support. At the hospital, Joyce has just found out that her CAT scan showed a "shadow" on her brain and the doctors are going to perform a biopsy.

Back at the Magic Shop, Giles and company are discussing the enemy and wonder why they can't find a mention of her in any books. As they talk about her, who should come in, but Glory herself! Completely oblivious, Giles sells Glory the items she requested.

The results of the biopsy show that Joyce has a brain tumor. The doctor explains to Buffy that patients with her mother's disorder have a one in three chance of surviving. Buffy is (understandably) upset, and sets off for the Magic Box to search for a magical cure for her mother.

At the Magic Box, Anya realized that Giles sold two very dangerous artifacts to the same person, and they realize that the girl who came in earlier was the unknown enemy. Meanwhile, Riley takes Dawn out for ice cream, and Dawn tells Riley how much happier Buffy seems with him than she was with Angel. Riley, however, misinterprets this as a comment on Buffy's lack of deep feelings for him.

Buffy hears that Giles sold a transmogrification amulet to Glory and they theorize that she is planning to conjure a snake monster. Buffy finds Glory at the zoo, and they fight. Naturally, Glory throws Buffy across the room and then finishes her spell, which created a giant snake monster. She orders the snake to go find her Key.

Riley meets a woman at a bar and goes out with her to an alley. They kiss and then she changes into her vampire face. Riley allows her to bite him for a few minutes and then stakes her.

The snake finds Dawn at the Magic Shop, sniffs her, and then turns to rush back to Glory. Buffy and Giles chase it in Giles' car. Right before it reaches Glory's apartment, Buffy is able to kill the snake by choking it with a chain.

previous episode | next episode