For your viewing pleasure, I present: Lady Day's Guide to Effective Pubic Shaving.
(Note: this is only meant to apply to females. Believe it or not, I have never shaved the personal parts of a male).

  1. Do this last thing at night (reason will be made clear later). Never attempt to shave your genitalia while drunk, on interesting narcotics or tired. Female circumcision is bad enough when planned.
  2. Bear in mind, if it's your first time it will take a lot longer than you think. It's a surprisingly large area.
  3. Be in the bath (shower is also acceptable).
  4. Cut the hair short with a pair of (blunt, small) scissors. Stops you gumming up the razor.
  5. Have a new, good razor with you. Last month's blunt and rusty disposable is not appropriate. A new, double- or triple-bladed, fairly expensive reusable one is. Moisturising strips are good.
  6. Cover the area liberally with shaving cream or the equivalent. Conditioner (yes, the gloopy stuff that makes your hair nice) works fine for all shaving purposes.
  7. Shave. Gently. In the direction that the hair is growing (prevents itchy or inflamed regrowth: these are not nice and should be prevented). Covering your clitoris and labia with your other hand is good: see earlier comment about female circumcision. Go slow. Pay attention and concentrate on what you are doing.
  8. Dry the area, gently, with a towel.
  9. Cover the area in Savlon or similar antiseptic cream. You will need to do this for a couple of days. Or it will be sore and believe me, that is not pleasant.
  10. Then cover the Savlon in unperfumed, preferably hypoallergenic/sensitive skin/medicated talcum powder. You keep it dry, it doesn't get irritated, you don't feel as if you have fire ants in your knickers.
  11. Go to bed. Sleep either naked, or with nothing on your bottom half. Underwear/pyjamas will only irritate the freshly-shaved skin, causing you to wake up sore and itchy.
Happy shaving!