Coming out at the underground downtown Berkeley station. A bench full of boys, teenagers. Two or three girls walking in front of me. Boys growing louder and punching each other in the shoulder. There must be ten of them. They surge up, and one is propelled to the front of the miniature mob. They're so loud. He's yelling MTV endearments at her. He's calling her his girl. She has never seen him before. He is suddenly all over her, touching her shoulders, her arms, her chest. She stumbles away from him, toward the tracks. Her friends do nothing but giggle in embarassment. The other guys are yelling, hooting, bouncing up and down. She has kept walking all this time, though, and he doesn't stay with her for more than a few steps. He swaggers back to his bench to the shouted approval of the others. Their single stare turns back toward the approaching train, waiting for the next amusement.

Upstairs I saw a cop. Cops don't like any sort of disturbance on the transit system; better yet, this is a six-feet-tall, female cop. I watched the stream of commuters ahead of me as they passed the gates and then the cop. Nothing. I've been debating me the entire time.

I tell the cop, in mild terms. She looks peeved and heads for the stairs.

It was a strange day.